Sunday, December 8, 2013

"Jamaretti" Cookies


I may have found my new favorite cookie. In my inbox was an email from Everyday Food featuring a video on how to make these pretty "jamaretti" cookies. Described as "every bit as delightful as jam-filled thumbprints" but faster and easier to make, I was intrigued. I've never actually made jam-filled thumbprint cookies. Hard to believe, I know, but I have such a long baking "bucket list," it's not even funny. Anyway, I had a feeling these would be delicious. Like most Everyday Food recipes, they are fantastic. They're fun to make too. 
Go here to watch the video, or see the recipe below.



Jamaretti Cookies

Ingredients:
2-1/4 cups flour, spooned and leveled
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon fine salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup almond paste
3/4 cup sugar
1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 large eggs
1/2 cup jam (I used apricot, but raspberry or blackberry would also be delish)
Glaze: 
1 cup confectioner's sugar
4 teaspoons milk

1) Whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon; set aside. In a food processor, pulse almond paste and sugar until combined. Add butter, cut into pieces, and eggs and process until smooth. Add flour mixture and pulse until dough forms. Divide into 4 equal pieces, wrap in plastic, and chill for 30 minutes. [Note: the dough can also be frozen for up to a week. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator before using.]


2) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. On a lightly floured surface, roll each piece of dough into a 10-inch log. Transfer logs to two parchment-lined baking sheets and flatten to about 2 inches across. Bake until just dry, 12 to 15 minutes.

3) Remove from oven and with the handle of a wooden spoon, make a trench down the middle of each log. Spread 2 tablespoons jam into each trench. Return sheets to oven and bake until golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes more. Let cool on sheets on wire racks.


4) When logs are cool, make the glaze. In a small bowl, whisk together the confectioner's sugar and milk until smooth. Drizzle glaze over logs (I used my mini whisk to do this). Let glaze harden, about 20 minutes. With a serrated knife, cut logs on the diagonal into 1-inch slices. Store up to one week in airtight containers.




6 comments:

  1. My mom always made thumb print cookies at Christmas and it was our job to make the indentations. I think they were my second favorite after the Austrian crescents, the nutty shortbread cookies dusted with powdered sugar that go by many different names. These look easier to make and are just as pretty. I love the addition of the icing. It makes them just a little bit more special.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Claudia! I adore Thumb Print Cookies and these look like the perfect substitute. Holiday baking is so much fun and the house always smells delicious:)

    Hope you are enjoying the seasonal festivities! xxL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have made a version of this for years because they are so pretty for so little fuss. However, I've never used the almond paste before - that sounds uber delicious, and I need to make them now!
    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look delicious! I haven't made jam drops in a long time but these look every bit as yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look sooooooo good. I'm not much of a cookie baker but I might need to give these a go.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm making those this weekend! I bake a mean amaretti, and these bars appeal to my German parentage. We always made jam thumbprints at Christmas time. Bonus - I have an open jar of apricot jam in the fridge. My planets are aligning!

    You should post this to tastespotting - your photos are mouthwatering!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for visiting My Little Bungalow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...