Monday, January 6, 2014

A New Knitting Project


I started a new knitting project last month. I'm making yet another scarf, in a really pretty color. For me, a good deal of the fun is in daydreaming about what color and what type of yarn to use. Once I'm in the knitting shop though, the choices are overwhelming. 

On this particular visit, my goal was to buy an earth-toned yarn, maybe in a shade of brown or rust. I left with something very different: this rich raspberry-colored yarn in a merino-silk blend. I'm using size 5 needles. I enjoy working with smaller needles and a finer yarn. The final product has a tighter weave. One day I'd love to be able to knit a baby's sweater or pair of booties with these needles. I just adore hand-knitted baby's clothes, and have pinned several sweet photos to my Knitting board on Pinterest.

Our local knitting shop offers classes, and I've signed up for a course that starts next week. I hope the classes will help me advance my knitting skills so I can finally make something other than scarves, such as a pair of socks, some fingerless gloves or a cap for my husband. I know how to cast on and bind off and the knit stitch, but I need to master the purl stitch (I taught myself once using an online video, but quickly forgot), and learn how to follow a pattern.

So there it is. My first goal for 2014 is to advance my knitting skills and make something other than a scarf. What goals do you have for the New Year?

4 comments:

  1. I am so happy you've cast-on a new project and are taking courses. That's great news!

    Ravelry is definitely the best website for knitters. If you have any questions, Rav is THE place to go!

    My new year's resolutions are all knitting related. I need to get my stash under control. I swore I wouldn't buy more yarn, and that's already fallen by the wayside. Twice. And it's only January 6th! Plus I want to finish everything I start, and if that doesn't happen, well, I plan on ripping back old projects and re-purposing the yarn. That should keep me busy all year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that your goals are all about knitting! How cool! I think it's such a rewarding and relaxing hobby. Of course, once I learn new stitches and try to follow a pattern for the first time, I might be rethinking the "relaxing" part.
      Claudia

      Delete
  2. Beautiful color!!! I love working with wooden needles. What a great wintertime project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that color! I would really like to learn how to knit. Maybe next year.

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for visiting My Little Bungalow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...