Saturday, January 18, 2014

Citrus Fruits

A neighbor friend of ours spent the holidays in Florida at his parents' house and brought home a ton of citrus fruit -- at least it seemed like a ton. He gave us a bunch of grapefruit, which I love to eat in the morning. Remember this post about my grandmother's old bamboo-handled grapefruit spoons? They're so handy.

He also brought us some Meyer lemons, below, which I'd never had before, and frankly wasn't sure what to do with. I researched Meyer lemons and learned from Wikipedia that they are native to China and thought to be a cross between a true lemon and either a mandarin or common orange. They were introduced to the U.S. in 1908 by Frank Meyer, an employee of the US Department of Agriculture, who collected a sample of the plant during a trip to China.

I squeezed the lemon juice and froze it for future use. I also used the peel to try something new, which I'll share in my next post. Stay tuned ...




8 comments:

  1. Lucky you! In addition to being so perfect and pretty, I'm sure they are delicious! Enjoy :)
    xo
    Loi
    PS - Wish there was a scratch-and-sniff button!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meyer lemons are the best! They are sweeter and larger than regular lemons, I use them in my salad dressings when I can find them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful lemons! I will occasionally use them in cooking. They have a slightly different taste and Yes:) they are juicier! Enjoy them:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Meyer lemons are so unique, and luckily, have become easier to find. I love your images and the lemons with that blue tile!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, those are so beautiful. They look so fresh. There was a period of time that I was working out a lot, eating really healthy, all of which included not drinking. During the holidays I drank club soda with a squeeze of Meyer lemon and a dash of bitters. I really grew to love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful photos! Nothing like yellow and blue together!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I adore citrus all year, but during this polar vortex it has been like a splash of sunshine to my day.
    pve

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love meyer lemons, they make the best salad dressing!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for visiting My Little Bungalow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...