Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Faux Fur for Cold Nights


I'll start by saying this: I am an animal lover, and very opposed to the use of real fur in clothing or decorating. In fact, when I was in my early 20s, I gave my then-boyfriend's mother a lecture on why fur coats were cruel and unnecessary -- right after she had made a comment about her mink coat! Needless to say, that relationship didn't last. 

Lately, I've been seeing a lot of faux fur throws in decorating (like in Joan's beautiful, cozy barn room), and I've been drawn to them, but at the same time, conflicted. While I know they're not real fur, they do feel and look real. Part of me feels like it's wrong to desire even fake fur. On the other hand, I really love the look of a faux fur throw, and I can only imagine how warm one would be on a cold night in our drafty old house. 

After debating this in my head for several months, I ordered a Luxe Faux Fur Throw in "coyote" from Restoration Hardware, on sale.  (By the way, it bothers me that they use the name of an animal to describe the color. I'd much prefer "medium brown.")

I received the throw a few days before Christmas, and I'm very pleased with it. The size is substantial and perfect for snuggling and napping. It's very warm, with a nice velvety-soft fabric lining. It looks and feels so realistic that I have to keep telling myself it's fake, just so I won't feel bad about having it.

I'm very glad I didn't order the throw I was going to buy from Pottery Barn. It was backordered online, which is why I looked elsewhere. The other day I was in a PB store and saw the throw in person. It's not nearly as nice (doesn't feel or look as real) as the one I purchased from Restoration Hardware. 

So what's your opinion of man-made faux fur? Are you a fan? Or do you say "no" to anything resembling fur, even the faux variety?

Before I go, I want to wish everyone a very happy New Year. May 2014 bring you peace, good health and prosperity.


6 comments:

  1. Happy New Year, Claudia! I would like to borrow that throw. It is minus 2 degrees in Maine.
    Cheers to 2014!!
    Loi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I have seen them everywhere, and was going to do a post on them! Too late in the season now I think. But I don't know about buying one…. so warm and cozy, yes. But, like you, the IDEA of it, sort of freaks me out. I saw the ones at RH a few weeks ago and yes, they are gorgeous and thick and worth buying. Unlike the curtain rods I've been looking at in theRH catalog: what a lot of money they are! Anyway, I guess I'll stay with my wool/cotton mix throw from last year. But let us know how you like it as the winter wears on, ok?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year! Likewise, may 2014 be filled with health, happiness and prosperity!

    I have no problem with fake fur throws. The quality is getting better and better, and yours looks like it's soft and cuddly. I am a real fan of natural fibres though, and nothing beats a good wool blanket, in my mind. No matter what you chose to cuddle up to, I hope you stay cozy in your little bungalow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It has been so cold in NC this week and I would love to be wrapped in this faux fur...so pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can I ask how the faux fur throw washes up? I really want to get one for our frigid Alberta winters, but I'm terrified that it won't look near as nice after being washed (and I know that with a toddler and a baby I am going to have to wash it). Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello there. I have to admit that I have not yet laundered our faux fur throw. With the light use it has gotten, it hasn't needed to be washed. Honestly, I probably won't wash it unless it gets soiled. I don't allow our dogs to lay on it and we have no little ones in the house. Before putting it out this winter, I'll give it a gentle vacuuming and do so again before storing it next spring. Thanks for visiting My Little Bungalow!
      Claudia

      Delete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for visiting My Little Bungalow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...