Monday, February 10, 2014

Gold Medal Granola


Last night, as I was watching the winter Olympics, I decided I would call this post "Gold Medal Granola." Not because I've won any medals for it, but because in my book it gets the gold. 

Granola is one of my favorite things to make. It smells incredible while baking and the homemade variety is more delicious than anything you can buy commercially. 

This recipe features pecans and dried fruit. It's my husband's favorite snack. You can add chocolate chips if you like, but we prefer the cinnamon, pecans and fruit to stand out. Why not make a batch this week to snack on as you enjoy watching the Olympics!

Pecan and Dried Fruit Granola

Ingredients:
1/3 cup vegetable oil (I use canola oil)
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup honey (use the best quality honey you can buy, organic if possible)
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon fine salt
3 cups rolled oats
2 cups coarsely chopped pecans (or almonds, if you prefer)
1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
1 cup mixed dried fruit

Direction:
Preheat oven to 300 degrees F with racks in upper and lower thirds. Line two rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper or coat with nonstick cooking spray. In a large bowl, combine vegetable oil, light brown sugar, honey, vanilla, cinnamon and salt. Add the oats and pecans and stir to combine. Divide mixture between sheets. Bake 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the coconut, dividing evenly between the two sheets, and bake until mixture is golden brown, about 15 minutes.

Let cool completely on sheets. Stir in the mixed dried fruit. Store in an airtight container up to 3 weeks.

Per 1/4 cup without chocolate chips: 158 cal; 9 g fat (2 g saturated); 2 g protein; 18 g carb; 2 g fiber.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Claudia,

    Your recipe looks so good! Granola is yummy and great on yogurt or with milk:) I'll save this recipe and try it! xxL

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so great! I'll be trying this. .

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will be making this soon! Kathy L

    ReplyDelete
  4. Granola doesn't need to have a shelf life of 3 weeks in my house. It never lasts more than a few days. This looks excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Will try this recipe. I love to heat up granala and almond milk for breakfast on a cold winter morning. Looks delicious! Jane

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for visiting My Little Bungalow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...