Monday, February 3, 2014

Strawberry-Oat-Almond Smoothie


We make a lot of smoothies around here, and this strawberry-oat-almond smoothie is a new favorite of mine. It's thick and delicious and makes for a healthy start to the day. It's from Everyday Food; watch the video here and also see how to make a spinach-peach smoothie, which may be next on my list. 

To make this strawberry-oat-almond smoothie, simply combine:
  • 1 cup fresh or frozen strawberries (I use frozen from the bags and bags of berries we pick each spring)
  • 1 banana
  • 1 cup fat-free or low-fat vanilla yogurt
  • 1/2 cup rolled oats
  • 1/4 cup raw almonds
  • 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup
Blend until smooth. 

There will be some small bits of almond in the smoothie, making it more substantial than most smoothies. My husband also noticed that if you let it sit a while, it thickens up, probably due to the oats, so I recommend drinking it right away. If you want a thinner consistency, I suppose you could add some milk or almond milk. Enjoy!




9 comments:

  1. Sounds great. It's actually similar to a version of Swiss meusli I make with oats, yogurt, milk and fruit (strawberries, raspberries, etc.) that I make the night before to allow the oats to soften. The oats do absorb a lot of liquid so it makes sense that it thickens up if it sits. Also why it's so filling; it would be great for breakfast.

    Not sure about the spinach-peach version though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve, I've made a smoothie before with spinach and it was excellent. I could hardly tell there was spinach in it other than the color! I also recently made a smoothie with avocado and mango that was superb. I should do a post on it, too.
      Claudia

      Delete
  2. Yum! Now this I can make :) I love smoothies, but so many of them are overly sweet. Happy Monday, Claudia!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Claudia, This looks so healthy and I'm sure it's delicious! Yes.. I agree about your comment above.. you can hardly tell when spinach or kale is added:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! I love almonds in a smoothie, so filling!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Claudia, just found your blog and just want to tell you how much I enjoy it. I'm not a blogger, but I have several favorite blogs which I regularly read and some I comment on, too. I've just added yours to my favorites! Thanks for what you do :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeannine,
      Thanks so much for your lovely comment! It's wonderful to hear from you. I'm glad you found me and I appreciate you taking the time to let me know. It really helps to hear from folks like you who are enjoying what I do. All the best,
      Claudia

      Delete
  6. Hi Claudia, I have to tell you that this looks so delicious and healthy that I am going to buy myself a new blender! I gave mine away years ago. I am trying hard to incorporate healthier foods into my diet, and this looks like a winner! Thanks so much for being so inspiring! Kathy L

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathy,
      I'm so glad I can provide inspiration for a healthier way of eating! I hope you enjoy the smoothie. Be sure to use the banana, otherwise it won't have as good a taste. Thanks for visiting My Little Bungalow. I really appreciate your comments!
      Claudia

      Delete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for visiting My Little Bungalow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...