Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Decorating with Shells

As I was tidying up the other day, I came across two bags full of shells in a drawer. Some are shells I've collected from trips to the beach. Others, like the brown and white cone-shaped ones below, were given to me by a former neighbor who is an interior designer. I believe he acquired them at the High Point furniture market many years ago. 

A lightbulb went off when I saw these. It's been years since I've used them in decorating, and I thought they would add a light, summery feel to the house. Since it will likely be fall before we make it to the beach for our vacation, I wanted to bring that beachy feel to our home now, and thought these shells would do the trick. 



Does anyone know what kind of shells these are? I think they are from the Philippines. 


The shells below are from our past trips to the beach. I put them in one of my favorite pottery bowls and set them on the coffee table. While they are not as exotic as the shells above, I think they are even more beautiful -- maybe because they were found by us and bring back pleasant memories of walks on the beach.


Even the bathroom shelf is now home to these two ivory-colored shells (again, from our former designer neighbor). I have a few more of this type of shell. I think they would look pretty in a bowl or wide cylindrical vase.


Do you like to use natural elements such as shells around your house? How do they make their way into your home decorating?

5 comments:

  1. Love the shells. Simple, but give a summery feel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Claudia, Your shells look so nice, a perfect summer touch. The black and white shells are Lettered Cones and Marbled Cone shells from the Pacific. I have some that my aunt gave me years ago. They are so striking on your dining table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cindy, for identifying those Pacific shells! I'm glad to know what they are called. They are pretty, aren't they!
      Claudia

      Delete
  3. I read this while we were in Maine and didn't get a chance to comment. I luvvvvv shells and think they are so summery and seasonal. Love what you did, Claudia. Happy June. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah once again your blog has inspired. I have a good collection of shells which are sadly sitting in a plastic bag under my laundry room sink! Thanks for reminding me how pretty they can be sitting out during the summer.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for visiting My Little Bungalow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...