Friday, May 30, 2014

Fresh Tomatillo Salsa




Last week I took Friday off from work and enjoyed a wonderful, long Memorial Day weekend. I got several chores done, ran many errands and did a little clothes shopping. My husband and I bought some new plants: coral bells with dark leaves for the shady front garden and two hibiscus plants (red and yellow) plus a few vegetable plants (tomatoes, cucumber, bell pepper and basil) for the sunny back yard. 

On Saturday morning, we picked strawberries under the best of conditions: sunny and cool with low humidity and a steady breeze. It was heavenly. We picked three gallons and purchased a fourth of pre-picked. After hulling four gallons of berries, my thumb sure was sore! 

On Memorial Day, we had our next-door neighbors over for hors d'oeuvres and wine and a lively jam session (both my husband and our neighbor play the guitar). As a snack, I made this fresh, delicious tomatillo salsa to have with chips. Before this weekend, I had never cooked with tomatillos. They are covered with a papery husk and have a sticky residue on them that should be washed off before using. Choose tomatillos that are bright green and firm with their husks still on. 

This salsa is tangy and slightly spicy -- perfect to have with margaritas. Give it a try for your next gathering and let me know what you think. If you're having a big group, I recommend doubling or tripling the recipe.

Fresh Tomatillo Salsa

In a food processor, combine:

  • 1 pound tomatillos (husks removed, washed and quartered)
  • 1/2 small red onion, chopped
  • 1 jalapeno chile (ribs and seeds removed for less heat)
  • 1 cup fresh cilantro
  • 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice

Pulse until finely chopped. Season with coarse salt. Serve with tortilla chips.

from Everyday Food

3 comments:

  1. We have a beach Bar-B-Que to go to this weekend- I think I might just make this! Looks fabulous! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was difficult for us to find tomatillos several years ago but it seems like the stores have a steady supply of them today. This is simple and it sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for visiting My Little Bungalow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...