Friday, May 9, 2014

Spring in the Garden

I spent some time cleaning out the leaves from the front garden over the weekend. I am always happy to see the unfurling of new fern shoots. How funny they look when they are still tightly curled up, and what a transformation they make!





Above: Coral Bells, one of my favorite shade plants!
Hosta is in the background, a staple in the shade garden.


Our rhododendrons are blooming beautifully this year!


I also visited my favorite little garden shop and picked out five plants for our front porch container. In the foreground on the left is an asparagus fern, which I include every year, and on the right is fuchsia "Dollar Princess," which I so look forward to seeing in full bloom. I hope it will attract hummingbirds. We'll hang the hummingbird feeder just above this container, so it will be fun to see if the hummers visit the flowers too.



Above, left: Coleus "Trailing Plum." I had never seen this type of coleus before. Its foliage is so pretty and unique. 
Above, right: "Rockapulco Purple" Double Impatiens.


Above: close up of fuchsia "Dollar Princess"


"Sonic White" New Guinea Impatiens with lots of buds.
Thanks for visiting!

12 comments:

  1. Looks so pretty! I love this time of year for the blooms and fresh green foliage. Do you have hellebores in your garden? They are my favorite shade plants. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loi, we don't have hellebores, but I'm very interested in them. There's a plant place nearby that specializes in them. I must add some to the garden!
      Claudia

      Delete
  2. My favorite time of year! I tell my husband this is my one and only addiction: buying plants…Yours are just beautiful; and the images of the fern shoots are wonderful!
    Happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you're so far ahead of us. My hostas are about two inches high.

    I love coleus. I think it's very under appreciated. I've seen window boxes and small beds just filled with it and it puts on quite a show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love coleus too, and have always had good luck with them. I'm excited to see this year's variety start to trail. I'll post some photos later in the season.

      Delete
  4. So pretty, Claudia! I love coral bells too, remind me of my Nana. Your Rhodos are beautiful. Like the birdbath too. We all love spring!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how ferns unfurl themselves too! Bizarre how it works. I think spring has sprung in your garden. It looks so lush and green. And how pretty are your rhododendrons? Btw, did I tell you I bought some coral bells on your recommendation? A few hostas and coleus too. I've never had good luck with coleus, so we'll see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Camille, I'm so glad you bought some coral bells! I hope they do wonderfully for you.

      Delete
  6. Love, love, love your photographs! We're so far behind this spring, I have a few daffs blooming, as well as Siberian Squill, and that's about it. The grass is getting greener, and the trees are finally sporting buds, so seeing your beautiful Rhodos put a smile on my face. It's nice to know someone's out enjoying their garden and putting together their planters. We have a couple of weeks to go.

    I add coleus into the fray every year as well. I also think they're under-rated. I love some of the new hybrids, it seems they keep getting better and better every year. Have you ever planted sweet potato vine? That's one of my standbys as well. I always plant the bright green variety.

    Ah, you've made me dream about visiting the garden centre and starting to think what I'm going to plant this year!

    Hope you're enjoying the weekend, and thanks for sharing your gorgeous photos with us!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for visiting My Little Bungalow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...