Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Vegetarian "Baked" Beans


I hope those of you who are moms had a very special Mother's Day! We gathered at the home of our niece and her family over the weekend for a cookout and to celebrate the wonderful mothers in our family. As my husband and I made the 30-minute drive to the party, we encountered quite the rain storm. At times it came down in buckets -- so hard we couldn't see two feet in front of the car. It was kind of scary, but we (and the food and wine we brought) arrived safely.

I love it when I'm asked to bring food to a party. I enjoy paging through my cookbooks, looking for just the right dish to bring. My contributions this weekend were gluten-free brownies with pecans (a recipe I shared here) and these baked beans (I know, it looks like chili). I doubled the baked beans recipe to make enough to feed 13 adults. I've made these beans before and they've never turned out thick, even though I cut down on the amount of water and cook them longer than is called for. But they are tasty and have been a hit every time I've made them. You may want to give them a try the next time you have a cookout.

Vegetarian "Baked" Beans

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
4 garlic cloves, minced
4 teaspoons mustard powder
3 teaspoons chili powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
14.5 ounce can whole tomatoes with juice
1/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
4 cans (14.5 oz. each) pinto beans, rinsed
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
salt and pepper

Directions:
1) In a 5-quart saucepan (or 8-quart stockpot, if you are doubling the recipe), heat olive oil over medium-high. Cook onion until translucent, stirring often, about 3 minutes. Add garlic, mustard powder, chili powder, cumin, tomatoes, brown sugar, beans and 2 to 2.5 cups water (the recipe calls for 3 cups). Break up the tomatoes with a wooden spoon.
2) Bring the mixture to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 50 minutes. Uncover and cook until thick, 20 to 30 minutes (the recipe says 10 minutes, but I find they're not thick enough). Stir in vinegar; season with salt and pepper.

Adapted from Everyday Food

2 comments:

  1. That looks really good and super loaded with protein! It does look like chili which I make all the time. It's one of the few dishes I can cook! But this is a great alternative so thanks for sharing, Claudia! I'm inviting you to my next party - please bring those Danish pancakes :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know when, Loi, and we'll be there with our Danish ebelskiver pan in hand! My husband will have to make them at your house, since they don't keep well and should be eaten immediately after they are made. We'll clean up after ourselves, I promise (wink).
      Claudia

      Delete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for visiting My Little Bungalow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...