1 large egg
1 can (13.5 oz) coconut milk (I used Thai Kitchen organic unsweetened coconut milk)
1-1/2 cups milk (I used skim milk)
1/2 cup sugar
3 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca (shake box before using)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup sweetened shredded coconut
1/2 cup small pieces of fresh pineapple or 1 can (5.5 oz) pineapple tidbits, drained
1) In a medium saucepan, lightly beat egg. Add coconut milk, milk, sugar and tapioca. Whisk to combine. Set aside at least 5 minutes, until tapioca is slightly softened.
2) Stirring constantly, bring mixture to a boil over medium heat (don't try to rush this, and
don't stop stirring, even to get a glass of water. Trust me on this.). When mixture has come to a rolling boil (meaning it doesn't stop boiling even while stirring), remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
3) Transfer mixture to a heat-proof bowl. Cover with plastic wrap. Let cool until no longer hot, about 30 minutes. Refrigerate until cold, 2 to 3 hours (or up to 3 days).
4) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spread coconut in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Toast, tossing once or twice, until golden, 10 to 15 minutes. Let cool.
5) Just before serving, whisk pudding to loosen. Divide among four bowls and top with pineapple and toasted coconut.
from Everyday Food