Tuesday, July 22, 2014

My Trip to Seattle: Space Needle & Chihuly Garden and Glass




Last week I was in the Seattle area visiting an old friend. Our friendship, which dates back to our first day of Kindergarten, has not only lasted, but has grown over the years. We both realize how very lucky we are to have such a longstanding, close friendship. We can talk to each other about anything and have very similar tastes in decorating, clothing, food and more. Although time goes by without seeing each other (we do live on the opposite ends of the country after all), I always feel as though it was just yesterday that we spent time together.

I had such a lovely time in Seattle, thanks to my friend who went out of her way to make sure I had a great time. And boy, did I! On Sunday, after attending church, we went to the Ballard Farmer's Market. The Ballard Seafood Fest was taking place that day and we had some of the most delicious salmon for lunch, followed by two scoops of fabulous gelato at D'Ambrosio. I bought a box of delicious fleur de sel caramels -- a gift for my husband -- from Seattle-based Jonboy Caramels. They are amazing! Later that day I enjoyed a chilly (or at least it was chilly to me!) swim in Lake Washington's clear water.

One thing I really wanted to do was go to the top of the Space Needle. My friend is not a fan of heights and gets a bit dizzy, so I was grateful -- and very proud of her -- for joining me on the ride to the top. What amazing views. The weather was perfect the whole time I was in Seattle, but it was extra clear the day we visited the Space Needle. 


Right next door to the Space Needle is the Chihuly Garden and Glass, featuring the exquisite work of Dale Chihuly. This was a real treat. It's one of my friend's favorite places. Her 7-year-old son loves it too, and I can see why. The whole time I felt as though I was walking through a child's storybook -- the sculptures are so colorful and whimsical. The garden is especially beautiful. I love the way they combine the glass with the plantings.
















Stay tuned for more posts from my trip, including the peaceful Seattle Japanese Garden, the original Glassybaby store and a mini tour of my friend's lovely home! 

7 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos, Claudia!! I have never been to Seattle so please share more photos. I remember first seeing Chihuly's chandelier at the V&A in London - it was dazzling!! He is pure genius!! What a brilliant idea to place his glass pieces within a garden.setting. They are vibrant sculptures. So glad you had a great trip visiting your friend. You both must treasure such a long friendship. Cheers - Loi

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS - I can't wait to enjoy your photos of the Japanese garden!! Martha Stewart featured it on her blog recently. It is high on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photos! Don't you just love Seattle? I have been there several times since my sister lives in OREGON! Glad you had a great visit with your friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the tour! I've never been to Seattle. I don't know if I could do the Space Needle: don't "do" heights, like your friend. But she made it! And I always love the Chihuly glass images; they are so incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So happy you had a great time! It's nice to have friendships that endure time and distance.

    Your Chihuly photos are beautiful, especially the garden installations. We went to his exhibit at the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts last summer. It was the highlight of the season for me. We still look at our photos and gasp!

    Seattle is on my bucket-list! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You captured the amazing glass sculptures of Chihuly beautifully, Claudia! We loved the Space Needle views and the Japanese Garden, which is so beautiful, as is the one in Portland. Seattle in the summer is so special. I want to visit the San Juan Islands the next time we are there. Did you head over to Bainbridge Island?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cindy,
      I did not get to Bainbridge Island, but did visit Whidbey Island. My friend gave me the choice and I picked Whidbey. She said they're both lovely. I found Whidbey to be so charming. I'll share more about that side trip in a future post!
      Claudia

      Delete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for visiting My Little Bungalow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...