Sunday, November 30, 2014

Mocha Russian


I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving. We did, enjoying time with family, lots of good food and, after the clean up was done, a round of Scattergories. Have you played it? I'm a fan of word games, and this one always provides lots of laughs. My dear friend in Seattle has a nice family tradition going. Every evening after supper they play a different board game. What a great way to spend time together. I enjoyed a game of Battleship one evening with her 7-year-old son, and another night the four of us played a competitive game of Sorry!

Today, I wanted to share a recipe from the December issue of Martha Stewart Living, which I just had to try. A spin on the white Russian cocktail, it uses espresso powder instead of coffee liqueur, and adds cocoa powder for a little chocolate flavor. This beverage is served hot, so it's perfect for a cold evening by the fire, perhaps while playing your favorite board game. Enjoy!

Mocha Russian 

The following recipe makes two drinks.

1) In a saucepan, whisk together 1/4 cup light brown sugar, 2 tablespoons espresso powder or instant coffee granules (regular or decaf) and 1 tablespoon cocoa powder.

2) Whisk in 2 cups milk, 1/2 cup heavy cream and 1/4 cup vodka. Heat until almost boiling. Serve with whipped cream and a dash of espresso powder, if desired.

Notes: I used instant espresso granules; next time, I'll use decaf instant coffee because I'm sensitive to caffeine (needless to say, the espresso had quite an effect on me!). I also used skim milk and light cream. I added the vodka at the end so as not to burn off all the alcohol. I didn't have whipped cream, but a dollop would be wonderful on top.


1 comment:

  1. I saw this and wondered if it was good! Just might need to make it. Now!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for visiting My Little Bungalow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...