Sunday, December 14, 2014

Paperwhites


Bit by bit I'm adding touches of Christmas to the house. We've gotten a slow start this year because my husband has been sick, and all the Christmas decorations are in the attic and only he can get those big boxes down the narrow pull-down stairs. But I have added a pot of flowering narcissus and a pretty red poinsettia to the living room, an evergreen wreath on the front door and a boxwood wreath on the garden gate. Simple, but festive.


I have to admit, I cheated this year and purchased a pot of already started paperwhite bulbs at the market. But I did get to see them grow taller and bloom. I tried the pickling advice that Cindy referenced on her blog, A Curious Gardener, by adding one part vodka to seven parts water, but they still grew to be lanky.  I staked them and tied a ribbon around to keep them from falling over.

I put the paperwhites in an antique copper pot, one of two that my parents brought back from their trip to France in 1967. I like the way the copper and the white flowers look against the matte green tile of our 1922 fireplace. The metal grate in front of the fireplace is something we bought many years ago at a wonderful garden and housewares shop. It's an old piece, and I'd love to know its history and where it came from.

Next up, a Christmas tree! I can't wait to unwrap all the vintage ornaments and hang them on the tree while listening to our favorite Christmas songs on Pandora. I also have some wonderful paper snowflakes I bought from an Etsy artist in California that we need to hang. I'll share pictures with you soon.

I hope you're enjoying a peaceful holiday season. For some inspiration, check out my Christmas board and Winter board on Pinterest!

6 comments:

  1. Claudia: I had posted and tried, several times, the vodka/water mixture for my paperwhites. Last year it worked beautifully! Well, I tried it a month ago and no, my bulbs are tall and lanky and all falling over! So who knows. Maybe it's the quality of the bulbs? Last years were a better grade than this year. I'll try again and let you know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Libby. Next year I think I'll try ordering from the company that Cindy recommends. Below she provides a link to their website. I know they also sell a variety that has less fragrance. I have to admit, the smell of paperwhites is not my favorite.
      Claudia

      Delete
  2. Love all the materials on your hearth, Claudia. The copper pot is beautiful too. Here is another idea for next year. The co. I ordered my paperwhites from has 5 varieties of narcissus available and some are shorter than others. Here is the link https://www.easytogrowbulbs.com/c-61-paperwhites.aspx . I ordered several varieties to try, they are also nice to use as last minute gifts. Hope your hubby is better this week, still plenty of time for decorating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cindy. I will try ordering from that company next year. Thanks for the link. Hubby is feeling better, thank you. We went on a home tour today and then bought the cutest little tree for our small living room. Tomorrow night we'll decorate it. I love the smell of pine!
      Claudia

      Delete
  3. I love the tip on the paper whites I am trying it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's all so very pretty! Can't wait to see your new paper snowflakes. If they are anything like your other Etsy finds, we'll be in for a treat.

    Even if your paperwhites are lanky, they look great tied with the bow.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for visiting My Little Bungalow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...