Monday, January 26, 2015

A New Design Book





I bought a new interior design book called American Beauty: Renovating and Decorating a Beloved Retreat. It was a book I had seen online. What captured my interest is that it is about Thom Felicia's vacation home on Skaneateles Lake, one of the Finger Lakes in upstate New York. I have a special fondness for Skaneateles Lake because my parents and I had vacationed there one summer, renting a cabin on the water. I have such lovely memories of that vacation and other day trips we took to Skaneateles Lake, which was only an hour and a half from where we lived when I was a teenager.

I rarely buy design books, mainly because we have limited space for such things in our little bungalow, but also because design books tend to become dated as tastes change over time. But every now and then I'll treat myself to a new design book, a nice little splurge. Since I had recently sold and donated several books, I figured I had some extra space in the living room for one new book.

When I received American Beauty, I sat down with it that evening and read it cover to cover. It is not only full of beautiful photos, it is an interesting read. And it really makes me want to head north to spend some time on beautiful Skaneateles Lake!


5 comments:

  1. I love reading books on a single home - follow it from season to season or throughout a renovation project, etc. It's like visiting the home of a friend in the neighborhood. Thanks for sharing this one - looks lovely! Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Loi, you hit the nail on the head. A book that features just one home is more intimate and familiar feeling. I'd love to be a weekend guest at Thom Felicia's beautiful lake home!
      Claudia

      Delete
  2. Looks like a fun Sunday afternoon read to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lovely find. I got it from the library when it first came out and found his style very charming (I'd not been familiar with his work) - love love love that lake house.
    I know what you mean. I am careful choosing what books I buy and bring into my future. haha.
    xo Terri

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Thom Filicias work and I have been looking forward to this publication. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for visiting My Little Bungalow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...