Sunday, January 11, 2015

Kale, Strawberry and Pineapple Smoothie

I'm seeing a lot of green smoothie recipes lately on blogs. I guess it's that "post-holidays detox" trend, but since I didn't overindulge (thanks to a cold that left me without any sense of taste for over a week at the holidays), I'm not making green smoothies to "detoxify." My husband and I make smoothies for breakfast year-round. I love kale, and it's an easy addition to a fruit smoothie for some extra nutrition and fiber. When I make a smoothie, I don't follow a recipe or measure anything. I just throw in what looks good in amounts that seem reasonable and hit the power button. If you'd like to follow actual recipes, check out the site Hello Natural -- in particular this post or this post.


To make the smoothie above, I used fresh pineapple, frozen strawberries, some strawberry kefir, unsweetened almond milk, one large leaf of kale torn into small pieces, and honey. It's delicious, and all I can really taste is the fruit. Our blender does leave tiny pieces of kale, which doesn't bother me. I like that it isn't completely liquified. Sometimes I add almonds or walnuts to my smoothies, and the little pieces make the smoothie more satisfying.



Give smoothies a try for breakfast, and go ahead and throw in some kale or spinach. You probably won't even notice it's there -- other than the color!

5 comments:

  1. I really got into smoothies last winter..but only for lunch. I need something solid for breakfast: crunchy or chewy as in toast or cereal! But smoothies for lunch solve the eternal problem of what to have/what is there in the fridge. I use the almond milk (gotta love that calcium),kale and then add some pineapple along with other fruits. Phyllis at Henhurst had suggested the pineapple and it's great! Hmmm: you add nuts? I might try that tomorrow: thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, will have to try kale too. I love adding spinach too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bon Appetit has a great detox issue out this January, and I am hooked on their green matcha smoothie. It is clean and green and includes agave, flax oil, ginger, and whatever green you have on hand. It's like the best most grown up milk shake you can have!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love "green drinks" as I call them, and try to make them once a day for me and my husband. I use pears, kiwi, and bananas to ours (cut up and frozen). Kale, pineapple and cranberry juice usually round out the drink. My husband is a VERY picky eater, and this is one way I can get more nutrients into him.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for visiting My Little Bungalow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...