Saturday, January 31, 2015

Mudroom Renovation: Part 1

After all these years living in our little bungalow (16 and a half, to be exact), we are finally renovating the mudroom. I am so excited!

The mudroom has always been my least favorite room in the house. It is a small, awkward space measuring 6' 1" x 5' 7". On the exterior wall is a door to the side yard and a window. On the opposite wall is a door to the basement and a window that looks into the pantry/laundry. And on the third wall is the doorway into the kitchen. That leaves only one wall without an opening.

If you live in a small house, you know that space and storage is always an issue. Paul and I have been talking for years about what kind of storage we could eke out of the mudroom. Because it is imperative that we maintain access to the basement (for future replacement of the furnace, water heater and other maintenance issues), we determined built-ins on the fourth wall weren't an option. We knew that whatever storage option we decided on, it had to be flexible. More on that later.

For now, we're focusing on cosmetic upgrades: a new bead board ceiling to cover the original, damaged tongue and groove, and a fresh coat of paint on the walls, trim and floor.

My husband keeps reminding me the mudroom isn't going to look like new when he's finished repairing the wood and painting it, and I accept that. The house is 93 years old, and perfection isn't my goal. I love the quirks and imperfections of our old house. I'm just OVER the peeling paint on the floor and the marks on the walls and the puppy damage from 15 years ago

I'm super excited about having a mudroom that is no longer an embarrassment when we have people over. I will keep you posted on our progress. For now, here are some photos of the ceiling, before and after. Paul has spray painted the shiny chrome schoolhouse light fixture matte black. Once the ceiling is primed and painted, the fixture will be rehung.





15 comments:

  1. I love renovation before and after pictures! Your mudroom is going to be amazing because you respect your house and its architecture, and I can't wait to see the results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sheila. I can't wait for you to see it!

      Delete
  2. We have a small mudroom, as well. But I'm thankful we have one, because it is such a practical space to dry / wipe the doggies after walking them in the rain, snow, etc. The tiled floor is wonderful to wash down. Can't wait to see what you do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Loi. Mudrooms are essential when you have dogs. Our mudroom is the main entry point for us and since it leads to the enclosed yard, it's where we let the dogs in and out. Eventually we may put down tile or cork on the floor, but for now we're repainting it so it isn't such an eyesore.

      Delete
  3. Oh Claudia…I love this! Before and afters are always a favorite. Tight space is a challenge, but now there are/they make so many different options and tricky ways that there is a solution for just about any space! We were just saying the other day (having lived here only four years) that the longer you live in a space the less you see what's wrong and the less you want to shell out for renovations. On the other hand, the longer you live there, the more you simply cannot bear the ceiling, floor, cabinets or whatever! Anyway, can't wait to see this continuing saga..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Libby! More photos and updates to come. Today my husband has primed and painted the ceiling, and it looks great!

      Delete
  4. Love the beadboard ceiling and the light fixture. Can't wait to see the finish. I live in a small home, too. Wish I had a mushroom - of any size 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jeannine. Small house living is a challenge, but I can't imagine living in another home. We love our old bungalow, and I think I'm going to love it even more once the mudroom is done. Thanks for following along!

      Delete
  5. Your mudroom is going to be amazing - love the character of the beadboard ceiling and the schoolhouse light fixture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm so glad we went with bead board instead of plain drywall. I love the character of it too, and the schoolhouse fixture has been painted black. What a difference! Stay tuned.

      Delete
  6. Wow, Claudia, it is looking great already! These old houses will never be perfect, and that's where the beauty comes in. I love the idea of painting the chrome light fixture black, that's a nice touch!

    Can't wait to see what creative solution you've come up with regarding storage! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ann. I can't wait to show you the updates as we make progress. Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  7. It will be wonderful when you've finished! Our house doesn't have oodles of storage either... I have to be very careful about what we keep/store etc.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for visiting My Little Bungalow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...