Sunday, February 22, 2015

Gluten-free Banana Nut Bread


With extreme temperatures -- and even some snow -- this past week, I have been hibernating on the weekends. One day this week we had a high of 17 degrees and a low of 2 degrees! It's rare for the Southeast to get such cold weather.

Even though I've been enjoying making chili, snuggling into my "fur" blanket at night, watching movies, and wearing my coziest of sweaters and wool socks, I must say I'm ready for warmer weather. Next week's forecast is for temperatures in the 40s, which might actually feel balmy in comparison to last week.  

Meanwhile, to keep the house a little warmer, I've been baking -- a favorite winter pastime of mine. I wanted to share with you this tasty banana bread recipe I made using Cup 4 Cup gluten-free flour. This brand of gluten-free flour is made from cornstarch, white and brown rice flours, milk powder, tapioca flour, potato starch and xanthan gum. Nearly every time I've used this product I've gotten excellent results. I imagine you could substitute regular wheat flour in this recipe if you don't have a gluten sensitivity or celiac disease. 

Your house will smell SO good as this bread is baking. Enjoy -- and stay warm!

Gluten-free Banana Nut Bread 

Ingredients:
1-1/2 cups gluten-free flour, such as Cup 4 Cup (which contains xanthan gum)
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt (I use coarse Kosher salt)
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1-1/4 cups mashed ripe bananas (2 to 3 medium; I used 3 and didn't measure)
1/2 cup pecans or walnuts


Directions:
1) Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9x5" loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray or butter. 
2) In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt until well combined. Set aside.
3) In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar on medium until light and fluffy. Scrape down sides. Add the eggs, one at a time, and beat well after each addition. Stir in the vanilla.
4) Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix until smooth, about 30 seconds. By hand, stir in the mashed banana, then the nuts. Spoon batter evenly into prepared loaf pan.
5) Bake until golden brown and wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, about 50 to 60 minutes (I baked mine for 50 min.). Remove pan from oven and immediately remove bread from pan. Let cool on a wire rack 

This is not a sponsored post.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds so good! I think I'll make this. I've been a little over the edge and am "seriously considering" moving to St. Helena Island. I use quotes because it's not that serious; just the irate ramblings of a fed-up Ohioan! But it's fun tI imagine how I'd do a southern house! Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Claudia, I have about six ripe bananas in the kitchen and really need to make some banana bread. Now I'm sure of it!!
    I am looking for warmer weather too, though can't complain too much as we are having an unseasonably warm winter here. I owe you an email after your lovely one to me. I keep sitting down to write but always feel like I don't have enough time for a full and proper reply!!!! I loved getting to know more about you. Will write soon and will go now and catch up on posts I've missed.
    Xo Terri

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a healthier alternative to the standard BB! I want to try this!!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for visiting My Little Bungalow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...