Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Cocktail Hour: Greyhound/Salty Dog


I like making cocktails at home, and I try to use fresh ingredients when I can. Gin cocktails are a favorite of mine. This drink, the Greyhound, combines gin with grapefruit juice and a little simple syrup. If you rub the rim of the glass with a grapefruit wedge and dip the rim in coarse salt -- like you would for a margarita -- the drink becomes a Salty Dog. Or, you can make a Greyhound with vodka, if you don't care for gin. Scroll down for the recipe.


I prefer to use freshly squeezed juice for this cocktail and others, such as whiskey sours. It's a little more work, but it makes all the difference in taste. If you're pressed for time, you can certainly use bottled grapefruit juice.


For my birthday in January, my husband gave me this set of Tovolo sphere ice molds. They are so cool -- no pun intended. Because they are so large, they take a long time to melt, and chill your drink without diluting it. I thought it was a fun -- and unexpected -- gift! This would make a nice hostess gift too.





Greyhound Recipe
3 ounces freshly squeezed grapefruit juice (or bottled)
1.5 ounces gin (or vodka)
2 teaspoons simple syrup*
Combine all ingredients in a glass over ice and stir well. Cheers!

* To make simple syrup combine equal parts water and sugar in a saucepan and cook over medium low heat until sugar is dissolved. Let cool and store in the refrigerator

Check out my Pinterest "Drinks" page for more cocktail inspiration!
 

3 comments:

  1. A cocktail is such a nice ritual and fresh grapefruit is one of my favorite winter foods. Our family uses it as an antidote once we feel a cold coming on. I like your juicer, I use the Ina Garten electric one. The ice cubes are clever and practical. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great idea for a winter cocktail that wards off cold viruses. Grapefruit juice is one of our medicinal foods.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love this; I love grapefruit. But I'll pass on the salt.

    I have trays to make large square cubes but I think I would like how the round ones roll around the glass.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for visiting My Little Bungalow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...