Sunday, April 19, 2015

Mudroom Floors

Progress continues in the mudroom. When we purchased the house almost 17 years ago, the floors were painted a grey porch paint. As mentioned in my previous post, we suspect this mudroom had been an exterior or partially-enclosed porch originally. Over the years, the paint has been coming off the floors here and there. Sometimes when I'd vacuum this room with the power nozzle, large chips of paint would get sucked off the floor, adding to the lovely appearance.

Below is a "before" photo of the mudroom floor. That's right, this is before the scraping! We joke that this is My Little Bungalow's "dirty little secret." I'm embarrassed to show you, but this is a renovation post after all. Gotta show the ugly as well as the pretty. Over the years, some friends and neighbors have said they thought the floors had "character." I think they were just being nice.


My husband used a scraper and a lot of elbow grease to remove the paint from the majority of the floor. Along the far wall (behind my husband in the photo below) the paint was more adhered, so he used Jasco Premium Paint & Epoxy Remover, which helped, but it still required a lot of muscle! This paint stripper product has very little odor, but it is a toxic chemical nonetheless. Fortunately he only had to use it on a small area for a short period of time. With a fan running and the door open, there was plenty of ventilation. I kept offering to help, but hubby declined my "assistance."

I asked him to smile for this photo, but this was the best he could do. He said it wasn't really a "smiling moment." Poor guy. Such hard work! Thank goodness it's a small space.



After scraping, he did some light sanding to get the rough spots out. I'm happy with the condition of the wood underneath the paint. It's cool to see it in its natural color. Without thinking, I blurted out that maybe we should stain the floors instead of painting them. That idea didn't go over too well. The condition isn't that good, plus we have the primer and paint already purchased. Nothing was said, I just got one of those looks (smile)

Stay tuned for more updates, including the final color of the floor, which may be different from what we first chose.

6 comments:

  1. oh my .. the "before" is beautiful - then again i love the chippy, scraped, appearance. seeing the clean fresh floor i'm now curious how you'll update them to absolute prettiness. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sherry. If it weren't for some sort of filler used randomly over the floor, we would have stained it to keep that natural look, which I love. One coat of primer and one coat of paint have been applied, but we don't care for the color. We're going to go darker and will know today if it's the right decision.
      Claudia

      Delete
  2. Oooh, it's all so exciting! I bet the end result will be fantastic.

    Refinishing a floor is such a thankless task, especially one in such a small space. In a bigger room, you can bring in a floor sander and go to town, but in a small space, you're always tripping over tools or cords or something...I feel for Paul!

    If you still have lots of little odd jobs to do around your place, I'd HIGHLY recommend purchasing a Fein MultiMaster tool. The scraper on this thing is PHENOMENAL. Yes, I realize it's a +$400 dollar tool, but it's worth every last cent. Check out the YouTube videos. If you have lots of window frames to scrape and sand on your old house, it will pay for itself in no time.

    Enjoy your Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ann, thanks for your comment and the tip. I can assure you there won't be lots of other jobs like this done around our house by hubby. Any future jobs will likely be hired out. This kind of thing isn't my husband's idea of fun. I am very proud of him for tackling this project. Thanks for following along and for your enthusiasm!
      Claudia

      Delete
  3. What a job! And I love the "smile" routine…I get that too! Well, I would be tempted to stain but certainly understand the paint route too. It's going to be just so wonderful Claudia. These things we live with for a long time (years?) become such a part of us that it can be difficult to stand back and realize we need to get going and renovate.Can't wait for the next installment...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Libby, thanks for your comment. There are too many places in the floor where filler was used and so stain wouldn't work here. Paint is the way to go. With all this rain we're having, it's delaying the painting a couple of days.

      I know what you mean about getting used to things we live with for a long time, but in this case, the mudroom has always been something I've hated and been embarrassed of. Paul and I have had many conversations about this room over the years, but there was always something preventing us from taking that first step. I'm so relieved things finally came together. I think when you've wanted something for so long, you really appreciate it a lot more once you have it.
      Claudia

      Delete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for visiting My Little Bungalow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...