Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Mudroom Progress

We are making progress on the mudroom (and by "we" I mean my husband). Hubby's hand is healed after having surgery on it in early March, and the weather is now warm enough to leave the door and window open while he is painting. We had an absolutely gorgeous weekend, and Paul worked steadily through it, which makes me love and appreciate him even more!  

I'm so pleased with the how things are looking; I thought I'd share some "before and after" pictures with you. 

First, a couple of shots of the ceiling, before and after. The original tongue and groove was charming, but had suffered water damage, so we covered it with a similar style of bead board and gave it a good coat of white paint. Paul spray painted the chrome of the light fixture black -- much more economical than purchasing a new fixture. In decorating, I absolutely love contrast between light and dark, so the black fixture against the white ceiling is one of my favorite details in the room so far. 

CEILING BEFORE:

CEILING AFTER:

Ceiling: Snowbound SW 7004 
Walls: Aesthetic White SW 7035
Trim: Bleeker Beige, Benjamin Moore 

 The door to the basement was in rough shape. Paul did a lot of caulking and patch work before painting it. We believe this mudroom used to be an exterior or semi-enclosed porch, which would explain the door style, the window to the right of the door and the tongue and groove ceiling (same as the original on our front porch). Eventually we may replace it with a new door with frosted glass panes. But for now this door looks a hundred times better!

The glass doorknob is one of several we purchased years ago at a local antiques store. A whole slew of these doorknobs and brass escutcheons were salvaged from a hotel that was demolished many, many years ago. We bought enough for all the doors in our house. The metal escutcheon below is probably original to the house (and yes, it appears to have been installed upside down). There used to be a plain round knob there, so we just replaced it with the glass one. As you see in the "after" photo, my husband painted the door and the escutcheon, which I think makes the knob stand out better.


DOOR TO BASEMENT BEFORE:

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Next up: the floor! My husband is going to strip the paint, at least what's left of it (just wait until you see the photos!). You can check out the floor paint color we selected here

I'm going to custom order a piece of furniture this week, which should help with our storage needs. It's from Room & Board and is made in Wisconsin (my hubby's birthplace). The down side: it takes 5 weeks to deliver. Oh well, patience is my middle name.

Once the furniture is here, I'll order the natural shades. Here you can see the different styles I was considering. We decided on Lhasa in Cocoa (the last photo).

The inside of the exterior door will also be painted. Not sure yet if we'll use the floor color or the trim color. Eventually we'll replace this door with a Craftsman style wood door, and then replace the outside light with a Craftsman style fixture. There's always something on the list, especially with an old house. Our house turns 93 this year!

Stay tuned for more! And for some fabulous mudroom inspiration, check out my Mudrooms board on Pinterest.

As always, thanks so much for visiting My Little Bungalow.

9 comments:

  1. Looks terrific - so clean and fresh! And I love your color palette. Thanks for sharing the colors, Claudia. I love old houses :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really nice Claudia: very classy and classic. It's amazing the time and thought that goes into these renos, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really like what you've done so far. I'm so glad you decided to keep the light fixture. I really like those school house style lights. Can't wait to see it all finished.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Claudia, it looks fantastic! Just goes to show what some hard ‘elbow grease’ can do!! Such an upgrade so far!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Paul is so awesome, jealous as my hub not so handy except in the yard. I love the mudroom changes. Your paint colors are so perfect. Thanks for taking us along on your project, I love change.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really an awesome, clean look! Love the colours you've chosen!

    Your light fixture "update" is fantastic. I wish more people would "make-do" and refinish things, rather than running to Lowe's and buying something new. A coat of paint or sandblast can do wonders for so many things in a old house. They don't make 'em like they used to!

    Can't wait to see what you've ordered from Room and Board. Five weeks is a drop in the bucket in the general scheme of things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I just wanted to note the light fixture is not old. It's one we installed when we first moved into the house replacing a basic ceiling fixture. The schoolhouse light is one of my very favorite looks, but this particular fixtures base and stem weren't doing it for me any longer. I almost ordered a new light from Restoration Hardware, but then thought about spray painting it black. Saved a few hundred dollars!
      Claudia

      Delete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for visiting My Little Bungalow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...