Monday, May 11, 2015

A New Dryer and Shelving Unit


I'd like to tell you about the new clothes dryer we purchased in February. We had to replace our 16-year-old Whirlpool Gold dryer (we still have the matching washing machine) and had to do so fairly quickly. Our priorities: size, durability and price. Our old dryer was basic; it didn't have fancy bells and whistles, so I didn't feel like I needed a new dryer with all the snazzy features manufacturers offer these days (though I know people who swear by them). We just needed something that would fit the tight space of our "laundry room" (actually a closet in the kitchen), and we didn't want to spend a lot. Durability and quality was also important. 

I asked around for recommendations and one of my coworkers suggested SpeedQueen. He and his wife bought a SpeedQueen washer and have been very happy with it. I hadn't even heard of SpeedQueen until then, so I did some research. Their products are made in the U.S. -- Wisconsin to be exact -- and they are known for their commercial-grade washers and dryers. You can read here what makes SpeedQueen different. One thing I like is that the cabinet is made of commercial-grade steel, not plastic. The company also offers a decent warranty: 5 times longer than the industry standard for models with electronic controls, and 3 times longer for models with mechanical controls. Most new dryers offer electronic controls, but I think they can be more problematic, so I opted for manual.

The verdict? Our new SpeedQueen (or "Steve McQueen," as I refer to it) is great. The first load I dried in it were towels, and they dried a good 15 to 20 minutes faster than in our old dryer. This made me very happy! It's also quieter than our old dryer, though it may not be as quiet as some of the other models on the market. All in all, we're very satisfied.  

The stainless steel interior is lit, which I love (our old one wasn't). And the lint trap is inside the machine at the very front, so it's super easy to clean. In fact, my husband is probably sick of hearing me say each time I do laundry that I love cleaning the lint trap. But really, for 16+ years I hated cleaning our old dryer's lint trap. It was at the back of the machine, on top, so I had to move the clothes hamper each time and pull out that long screen, which sent lint dust everywhere. It was a pain!

Our new dryer is narrower than the old one, so we were able to scoot it over a bit, closer to the washer, giving us some precious room to add a three-tier chrome shelving unit, which I purchased online from Walmart (I'm not a Walmart shopper, but after doing a lot of looking, I selected this one for its size).

When the time comes for us to buy a new washing machine, I will definitely get a SpeedQueen. They still make top-loading machines with an agitator, which I think is hard to find now. But I hear people say the new machines without agitators don't clean clothes as well. What brand and style of washer and dryer do you have? Are there certain features you swear by? Please share!

It's funny, but this little chrome cart has actually made me quite happy. Since we won't have room for the wicker hamper in the mudroom once the new storage cabinet arrives, we needed someplace safe to store the dog food (so Ella can't get into it). We now keep the container of dog food, their bowls, salmon oil supplement and treats on the top shelf (so much handier than our old setup). On the middle and bottom shelves are laundry supplies and my iron. This has freed up space on the shelves above the washer and dryer, which serve as our "pantry." Sometimes all it takes is a little rearranging and rethinking how to use space differently to make a big impact. When you live in a home for a long time, you get used to how things are and don't stop to consider other options. Reorganizing and getting rid of things that aren't used are top on my list right now. And it feels great!


6 comments:

  1. I currently have Kenmore machines and have been happy with them. Thanks for the recommendation, though. One of these days, probably sooner than I think, I will have to replace my machines and any recommendations are always welcome. Love the little shelf unit you got. I think I need one of those as well! I know exactly what you mean about always doing things the same way in your home and not even thinking that there might be something better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Claudia: a girl after my own heart! Manual controls, agitator, top loader….all my kind of thing. I didn't want anything fancy when we replaced our washer last winter: just a basic top loader with agitator. Our plumber is also a good friend, and he definitely agreed with this. Just as he says not to buy a Toto toilet: he has seen all the problems associated with them! Here is the post I had done:
    http://www.libbywilkiedesigns.com/2015/02/my-guide-to-buying-a-clothes-washer.html
    It actually DOES come with bells & whistles, but they all do these days. So far, so good...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Libby, I'm glad you directed me back to your post on washing machines. I had seen it, and commented, but had not returned to read the post. Very informative. We are similar in our needs and requirements, you and I. So, I'm curious, how do you get by without a dryer?
      Claudia

      Delete
  3. We have 17 year-old Maytag Heavy Duty machines with basic manual features, and we swear by them. That said and done, they don't make 'em like they used to. I'd consider a Steve McQueen (LOL!) if they were available in Canada, which they don't appear to be. It looks like you made a nice durable buy. Great to see sturdy stuff being made in the US. We all need those manufacturing jobs!

    Our washer was recently serviced, and the repair tech said we could probably get another 17 years out of them with regular maintenance (new belts, etc). He also said you can extend the life of your top-loader washer by keeping the lid open after washing, to let the machine dry out completely.

    I'm with you regarding all the bells and whistles on newer front loaders. I don't see the point, and I'd hate to have to change out an entire electronic panel when (not if, but when...) some component craps out. I used front loaders when living in Europe, and the only advantage I found was the "white cycle" that reaches I think it was 95C got whites WHITE. It also lasted like 2 hours LOL. I don't know if any of our new North American front loaders have that feature, but washing white sheets in Germany and France was a pleasure!

    Isn't it nice to free up some space? It sounds like your renovated mudroom has put you on an organizational bender. Good for you! It's nice to clear out obsolete stuff and purge a bit.

    Hope you're both keeping well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Claudia ... I happened upon your "little space" and have enjoyed browsing over your past postings. As I was getting to your most recent posts, I saw this one about all that you shared here as we are going to be shopping for a new washer and dryer before too long. I too like the basic features. I like to keep things as simple as possible. Thank you for sharing. I think that this will be a big help for us. Sweetest Weekend Blessings ♥ Teri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teri, thanks for your nice comment. I'm so glad you found My Little Bungalow and that the information about our new dryer is useful and of interest to you. Good luck as you shop for your new washer and dryer. My husband and I would like to buy a SpeedQueen washing machine while they are still available with an agitator, but our Whirlpool washer still works, and I don't like to spend money needlessly. Let me know what you decide to go with and how you like it!
      Claudia

      Delete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for visiting My Little Bungalow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...