Friday, May 15, 2015

On the Porch

Time for my yearly porch planter update. There's an adorable little garden shop that I frequent every year for my front porch container plants. I also like to buy houseplants there and it has a great gift shop also.  

Below is a photo I took on day one. Clockwise from right, are:
  • Kong Jr. Lime Vein coleus 
  • Arroyo Grande fuchsia
  • Silhouette Appleblossom double impatiens (a very beautiful pale pink)
  • Alternanthera "Little Ruby" 
  • Asparagus fern

On the other side is Silhouette Cherry Red double impatiens. Lots of buds on this plant! 


Next are photos of the container eight days later. Look how the plants have filled in already, and the fuchsia is blooming beautifully. I think the Appleblossom double impatiens might be my favorite of the bunch, though. With its pale pink color, which is prettier in person than in these photos, and lacy petals, it is so feminine and delicate! At night, the blossoms glow in the moonlight.



Another addition to the porch is this attractive three-panel wood gate by Martha Stewart Pets. Now the dogs can enjoy being with us as we dine and relax on the front porch. This gate is perfect. It's wide enough to span the width of the stairs, but the hinges allow it to fold for easy storage. Two feet, one on each of the outer panels, provide stability. Henry and Ella are very happy about this new purchase, and so are we!



Henry says he hopes you are enjoying these beautiful days of spring as much as he is. Thank you for visiting My Little Bungalow!
 

9 comments:

  1. Love the handsome new gate! Also your planter of shade plants. Your rhodo looks very happy and the big fat fern too. Your front is full of beauty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cindy! We found some pretty Boston and Kimberly Queen ferns at Home Depot this year. I snagged them while I could ... last year we waited too long. Look at all the pollen on the front porch floor in that last photo! Thank goodness we're nearing the end of that mess!
      Claudia

      Delete
  2. I wish I could have you come do my pots!! They are a little skimpy this year!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to, Cindy! A former neighbor once told me I could make up potted arrangements and sell them. Maybe I should consider it!
      Claudia

      Delete
  3. Love your choice of plants. I was admiring the vast selection of Kong coleus at our local nursery today, but I can't figure out exactly what I'm doing with my planters this year. I've been twice in 2 days, and still don't have my action plan quite in place. I always do a similar theme - white and greens - but this year, I feel the need for a punch of colour.

    Happy to see your glorious rhodo in bloom. We have one at work (they're not exactly hardy here) that might bloom in 2 weeks' time. You could say we're a bit behind. Enjoy your porch and keep those doggies safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Ann. Yes, our rhododendron this year was spectacular. Our next door neighbor has the same color and they are huge bushes. Our two houses always look so pretty in the spring when they are blooming. We used to have a deep red colored rhododendron, but it became diseased and we had to replace it. I've never seen that color since -- it was so unique!

      Delete
  4. Hi Henry!!! And Claudia :) I love the double impatiens. They remind me of little roses. I used to plant them in the shade gardens of our former home. Also, begonias, hostas and ferns. When we eventually downsize, I'd love to have shade gardens again........especially wonderful since our summer temps can go up to the 90s. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loi, Henry and Ella both say hello and send puppy kisses to Panda and Mocha. How is the sale of your beautiful home going? Have you found a new place yet?

      Delete
  5. Love the new gate. The flower pots are great.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for visiting My Little Bungalow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...