Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Raspberry-Mango Sangria and a Memorial Day Cookout


I hope everyone in the U.S. enjoyed a wonderful Memorial Day weekend. While Memorial Day has become a well-enjoyed day off from work, it is most importantly a day of remembrance. A day when we express our gratitude to those who selflessly gave their lives in order to keep our great nation free. To quote Ronald Reagan: "Freedom is only one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." Important to remember.

We enjoyed a busy weekend -- but the three days went by too quickly. We hosted a cookout yesterday with my husband's family and our friends from next door. Paul was in charge of purchasing and preparing the meat -- grilled chicken -- and I made the sides: French potato salad and a mixed bean salad (recipes to come in a future post) and gluten-free fudgy brownies. Our neighbors brought Mexican hot chocolate cookies using this recipe. And because my sister-in-law's birthday is right after Memorial Day, my mother-in-law made a family favorite: Danish layer cake. I wasn't able to enjoy it because of the flour, but I've had it in the past and it's delicious. If you've never had Danish layer cake, you're missing out. Between layers of white cake are a custard filling and raspberry jam filling. The cake is then frosted with whipped cream. Yummy!


I wanted to share with you a recipe for a different spin on sangria that I made for the cookout. It's delicious and very refreshing. And my husband, who is not a fan of mango, liked it too. The blend of flavors is subtle. After prepping the mango, I squeezed the pit to release the juice from the fruit that remained, adding some extra mango flavor to the sangria. 

Raspberry-Mango Sangria

Ingredients:
One 750 ml bottle rosé wine
3 tablespoons raspberry liqueur (I used Chambord)
6 ounces fresh raspberries
1 mango, peeled, pitted and thinly sliced
4 cups (32 ounces) lemon-lime soda, such as Sprite

In a pitcher or large bowl (I used a trifle bowl), combine the mango, raspberries, rosé and raspberry liqueur. Cover and refrigerate several hours or overnight. When ready to serve, add the lemon-lime soda and serve over ice.

All that yummy wine-soaked fruit is like dessert! Try serving with picks or skewers so your guests can get to the fruit in the bottom of their glasses.


Our cookout was in the shady back yard and the weather was perfect. My husband surprised me by setting up all the furniture as I was putting the finishing touches on the food. He pulled together the chairs, dining table and side tables from the front porch, a bench from the side entrance and Adirondack chairs from the back yard. He even styled the scene with ferns and a bucket for the wine, with the wine opener conveniently hung over the side. I was super impressed with his styling!



Thanks for visiting My Little Bungalow. I hope you have a wonderful week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for visiting My Little Bungalow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...