Saturday, July 25, 2015

Thyme Lemonade

As promised, here is an excellent recipe for lemonade that I made recently. The sugar water is infused with fresh thyme, which I am growing in the garden this year. To make it into a grown-up cocktail, add some gin (but my preference is without). Homemade lemonade is the quintessential summer drink! It's a little bit of effort, but totally worth it.


Thyme Lemonade

1) Squeeze about 10 large lemons to get 2 cups of lemon juice. Make sure to remove all pits. I like some pulp in my lemonade, but you can strain the juice to remove pulp and pits, if you wish.
2) In a medium saucepan, bring 1 cup of water, 1 bunch of fresh thyme and 1-1/2 cups granulated sugar to a boil. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and let sit for about 10 minutes. 
3) When cool, transfer sugar water to a large pitcher. Add the lemon juice and 6 cups of cold water. Refrigerate until well chilled, at least an hour and up to a week.

If making into a pitcher of cocktails, add 1 cup of gin in step 3 when adding the lemon juice and water. Or, you can add 1 ounce to an ounce and a half of gin per serving, keeping the rest of the lemonade alcohol-free. Serve over ice, garnished with thyme sprigs (which I forgot to do when photographing my drink).

The thyme infused simple syrup would be delicious in other cocktail recipes too.
 

5 comments:

  1. I'm making limeade infused with mint, basil and thyme right now! Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds totally awesome!!

    Sorry I have not been by in ages. Instagram has all my attention (other than work and my health and life!!!). I hope you are well. I am still overdue for a reply email to you (yes, guilty as charged). Hope your summer is good. Are you on IG???!

    xo Terri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear from you, Terri. No, I'm not on Instagram -- I spend too much time on the computer blogging and with Pinterest as it is, I don't need another thing! Hope all is well with you.
      Claudia

      Delete
  3. HOLY cow..I want one. Hey, it's 5 o'clock now :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - totally making this! You had me at lemonade then sealed the deal with gin. :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for visiting My Little Bungalow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...