Monday, August 24, 2015

Finally, An Effective Mosquito Repellent


Here we are almost at the end of summer. Sorry it has taken me so long to share this with you, but better late than never. Thanks to one of my husband's coworkers, we learned about an excellent product that repels mosquitoes extremely effectively. It is Thermacell mosquito repellent. The product line includes appliances (like the one above), lanterns and torches. One device covers a 15 x 15-foot (225 square foot) area. They are great for use at home or camping.

We own two appliances in the Woodlands Camo print. The product has no open flame, is portable, easy to use and odorless (though I can detect the slightest odor, which is actually pleasant smelling, in my opinion). The best thing is that Thermacell WORKS!

Thermacell products have received numerous awards and are used by the US government for troops on military bases around the world.

Thermacell products are powered by a single butane cartridge, which provides the heat that activates the patented repellent mat. Both the cartridge and mat are refillable.

The repellent is allethrin -- a copy of what that naturally occurs in chrysanthemum flowers -- which repels mosquitoes, black flies, and no-see-ums. It is safe for humans and pets.

Ever since we started using Thermacell, we've been able to enjoy summer days and evenings outdoors without the bother of biting mosquitoes. This is especially nice at dusk, when mosquitoes are particularly active. Living in the south, we deal with mosquitoes several months out of the year. Needless to say, I am thrilled to have this product because it allows us to enjoy more time on our porch and in our yard during the dreaded "mosquito months." We even took it last evening to a jazz concert held in a heavily wooded park, and we didn't get any bites -- and neither did the people around us, I'll bet!

This is not a sponsored post. The opinions expressed are my own.

10 comments:

  1. What a great product! Do you know what the range is? I'm trying to get away from using one of those companies who spray the whole yard. They are very effective, but I worry about the environment because I know they use permethrin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sheila. One device covers 225 square feet. We typically use one on the front porch, two in the back yard. This is quite effective and doesn't require potentially harmful spraying. Plus, you use it only when needed. Give one a try and let me know what you think. You can purchase at Walmart or other such stores ... or online.
      Claudia

      Delete
  2. I think they are 15x15, according to the website. We live in Florida, and could definitely use one of these at our little bungalow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, A. Yes, you're correct, it covers a 15 x 15-foot area. If you purchase one or two, let me know what you think.
      Claudia

      Delete
  3. Oh I'm so glad to read about this. I'm going to go ahead and order a few now. I came here because I'm planning my next trip to HHI and have been seeking info on the Port Royal farmers market. And then I wondered if there might actually be better markets in Edisto and St Helena. Knowing that Edisto is your spot, I thought I'd check with you! I'd really like to find a local seafood market or vendor. Do you have one you love down there? I'll have lots of time to kill as I'll arrive on HHI around 11AM and can't check into the house until at least 4. So I thought it might be a nice opportunity to explore Edisto a little. Hope you're well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stephen! I'm well thanks, hope you are. It's a bit of a drive to get down to Edisto from Hwy 17 (it begins to feel as if you'll never get to the beach, even after you're on the island), but it's worth the trip. We have bought fresh seafood at Edisto Seafood, which is on Docksite Road, along Big Bay Creek. There is also Flowers Seafood on Hwy 174, which is the road you take to the island and beach. There isn't much to do on Edisto other than enjoy the natural setting. It's a great place to spend a relaxing week! Enjoy your trip to Hilton Head. Safe travels,
      Claudia

      Delete
  4. Ok, I need this right now! About to head out to the garden, and the mosquitoes are everywhere! They come out day AND night in DC. (Someone told me DC was built on swampland.) And the mosquitoes luvvvvvvvvv me. Instead of spraying myself with Deet, I usually suffocate by wearing long sleeves, long pants and a hat with a net around my head. So I'm definitely gonna give this a try. Thanks for sharing, Claudia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please do give it a try, Loi. And let me know if it works for you. I really hope it does. We have been very satisfied! In the garden, I'd recommend using two appliances for good area coverage.

      Delete
  5. I think I need to look into this!! Myself and my daughter getting bitten alive by mosquitoes if we're outdoors in the warmer months and I hate slathering us with toxic chemical laden repellent but it's the only way we can eat outdoors on warm nights. When you eat outdoors, where do you put this little device? On the table or just nearby?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amanda. So nice to hear from you! When we eat out on the front porch, we place one Thermacell device on the floor a few feet away, or on a side table nearby. The other evening, we had a warm, balmy night and enjoyed sitting outside without any bother from mosquitoes. And after all the rain we've been having, there were plenty of mosquitoes around, but we didn't have a single bite. Give Thermacell a try and be sure to let me know how it works for you.
      Claudia

      Delete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for visiting My Little Bungalow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...