Sunday, September 27, 2015

Easy Chocolate Mousse

What's this ... no photo? More on that in a moment. The following chocolate mousse recipe is touted in Everyday Food as the "easiest dessert ever, a snap to make." I'm sure it would be, if your blender container doesn't leak hot milk all over your counter! It quickly became "not-the-easiest" dessert ever. This little episode makes me want a new blender even more than I did before (the leaking has occurred several times before -- usually on mornings when I'm making a smoothie for breakfast and running late. Even though I'm super careful about putting the blade and base on tightly, I guess I wasn't careful enough. Maybe it's time for a Vitamix??)

Mishap aside, this recipe is very simple and quick to make, and the end result is very delicious. Now, about the lack of photos in this post. I'm ashamed to say that I FORGOT to take photographs before Paul and I inhaled the dessert two nights in a row! I even made fresh whipped cream as garnish -- it was so pretty. You can go here to see what it looks like though. There's a video too.

Easy Chocolate Mousse

1-1/4 cups good quality semisweet chocolate chips
3 tablespoons sugar
Pinch of salt (regular, not coarse)
2/3 cup whole milk
3 large egg whites
1/4 teaspoon almond extract (or you can use peppermint extract)
Heavy cream

Directions:
1) Put the chocolate chips, sugar and salt in blender container and set aside.
2) In a small saucepan, bring the milk to a simmer, then transfer it to the blender container and let stand for 1 minute. 
3) Blend on high until smooth, 1 minute. 
4) Add egg whites and almond extract and blend on high until well combined, 1 minute.
5) Divide evenly among four 6-ounce dessert cups. Chill until set, about 6 hours or overnight. 
6) Before serving, beat cream with a small amount of sugar until soft peaks form. Top mousse with a dollop of whipped cream and a few slivered almonds (or crushed peppermint candies if using peppermint extract) and serve.

3 comments:

  1. This sound delicious, but try Alton Browns Tofu chocolate pie. You can make the filling and it sets up very similar, maybe a littler firmer. Its SOO good and healthy so you can eat it all the time (at least that is what I tell myself).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ava! Nice of you to visit and leave a comment. Thanks for the tip on the tofu chocolate pie. Sounds wonderful. I have made a tofu-chocolate pudding before and it was delicious. I'll look up Alton's recipe and give it a try!
      Claudia

      Delete
  2. Wow.... my children will love as they love chocolates :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for visiting My Little Bungalow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...