Wednesday, September 30, 2015

The Dining Table Set for Fall

Paul and I went to the farmers market last weekend and splurged on pumpkins and squashes. $70 worth!! The grower even gave us a break on the price. In all, we got two large, basic orange pumpkins, one large dark green squash that kind of looks like a pumpkin, one large dark orange pumpkin called Rouge Vif d'Etampes (or "Cinderella pumpkin"), one white pumpkin and the three on the dining room table below. That's eight total, so maybe $70 isn't so much after all. I do like to support local farmers instead of buying from grocery store chains, and the folks we bought from had a wonderful selection and great quality. We had such fun picking them. I could have come home with even more.


While changing out the dining table display, I also removed the ivory slipcovers from the dining chairs. I like to use the slipcovers in spring and summer to give the room a lighter look. The fabric on the chairs is an oatmeal color, which feels warmer in the fall and winter months.


This light green one is my favorite. Isn't it beautiful? I think it's called an hokkaido squash ... do you know for sure? I've mixed the real pumpkins/squashes and pine cones in with some faux ones. Can you tell which are which?


Everything in the photo below is real ... except for the red pear. For more autumn decorating inspiration, check out my Autumn Pinterest board. And join me at The Charm of Home's "Home Sweet Home Party" for more ideas.



While we're in the dining room, here is our well-stocked bar. May I fix you a drink? My favorite cocktail is a whiskey sour, and below is an excellent recipe for one from the Barefoot Contessa. Check out some of my other favorite drink recipes here, here, here and here.

Whiskey Sour Recipe  (makes 4 cocktails) 

In a jar, combine:
  • 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (from about 3 lemons)
  • 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (from about 4 limes)
  • 2/3 cup simple syrup
  • 3/4 cup whiskey
Shake well and serve over ice.


12 comments:

  1. Simply gorgeous!! I LOVE, LOVE the candlesticks!! And I would have guessed the red pear was real!! Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rhoda. We bought those iron candlesticks years ago at a crafts fair. The artist had some wonderful, large sculptures too that would've made great outdoor art, but they weren't in the budget at the time. The faux pears are from Pottery Barn. Not sure if they still sell them.
      Claudia

      Delete
  2. Your table looks great - everything. I have to look really, really close to tell which things are real and which are not. They all look wonderful together. Your bar area is also very nice. I like the mirror beind the bottles which makes everything sparkle. And thanks for the recipe - I'm going to try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jeannine. I appreciate your nice note. I hope you like the whiskey sour recipe!
      Claudia

      Delete
  3. Oh, how very, very lovely Claudia! Your dining room is so peaceful and beautiful. I love the burnt orange (yes??) walls and then the neutrals. Really, really nice. And oh those pumpkins and squash are just fabulous. I'm not usually a fan of fall decor, but yours is outstanding! Can we see some more, maybe? And yes, I'd love a cocktail!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Libby. Such kind words. The wall color in the dining room (my favorite room in the house) is Pennywise by Sherwin-Williams. It's like terra cotta, very warm and cozy. We wanted something other than the very common red dining room. Orange tones are said to encourage appetite, so perfect for the dining room. I'll try to snap some photos of the other pumpkins once we get some decent weather. The rain! I'm over it. Stay safe the next few days and pray that Joaquin doesn't wreak havoc.
      Claudia

      Delete
  4. I really like that green pumpkin you have on the table. I'm using the small white ones around our house this year. Your dining room looks so nice. Thank you for sharing your home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous Claudia! I can't believe how much I spent on pumpkins as well!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pumpkins, squashes and gourds are so pretty it's hard not to get carried away, right Cindy? Oh well, it's only once a year. Gotta enjoy the season.
      Claudia

      Delete
  6. You picked some lovely pumpkins! I like the green ones too. Thank you for joining Home Sweet Home!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow...love the bar area...so stylish and colorful. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for visiting My Little Bungalow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...