Friday, October 23, 2015

A Japanese Maple to Remember Our 20th


My husband and I celebrated our 20th wedding anniversary this week. To commemorate our special day, I thought it would be a lovely idea to plant a little Japanese maple in our back yard. I'll always think of our 20th anniversary when I look at it.

We've wanted to add a Japanese maple to the garden for quite some time. It has been a few years since we had the scrubby bushes and chain link fence removed (see post here). We just haven't gotten around to landscaping yet. We have a blank slate to work with, which is nice. 

The lady at the nursery said this maple -- a "Dissectum Viridis" variety -- needs plenty of sun. This maple isn't supposed to grow very tall. Rather, it is a wide, weeping type of Japanese maple. We may need to keep it pruned back, depending on how it grows.

I'm looking forward to watching our little tree grow over the years. I'd like to take a photo of it each year on our anniversary to see how much it changes. Hopefully I'll remember to do this!

Update, 10/28/15: The maple, a week later, is turning a beautiful yellow tinged with red. I love fall colors.


9 comments:

  1. What a sweet idea Claudia! Love it! I had a neighbor, years ago, who would always plant a small dogwood wherever she lived (student, moved a lot over her years of training) and now whenever I see that tree, grown so big now, I think of her and hope she is well. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda. It's nice that you think of your former neighbor when you look at the dogwood she planted. Trees are a wonderful thing.
      Claudia

      Delete
  2. Firstly, happy 20th anniversary to you and Paul! What a thoughtful way to commemorate such a nice occasion. I'm sure your tree will be very happy in its location. They are so beautiful but not hardy in our zone. We have many sugar maples to make up for it though.

    Have you given any more thought about what you'd like to plant in your garden alongside the maple?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ann. Paul and I really like junipers and evergreens that have a Japanese look to them, but they may require more sun than what we get in our yard. Most of what I read online for Japanese maples said "part sun" so I think this spot should be okay for the maple. Not really sure what else we'll plant.
      Claudia

      Delete
  3. Happy, Happy 20th Anniversary! What a special way to commemorate the occasion. I'm a fan of Japanese Maples - especially fond of their delicate, lacy foliage which is even more stunning in the fall. What is the autumn color of the foliage?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Loi. The leaves are very lacy on this variety and they are supposed to turn yellow. I really fell for a Japanese maple at the nursery that had the prettiest red leaves, but it grows to 15 ft tall and that would be too large for our yard. I hope this little tree will be happy and grow well in our yard.
      Claudia

      Delete
  4. What a perfect idea and love that you will watch it grow over the years...happy 20th!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy 20th Claudia!! I know you'll love your Japanese Maple, my parents have one I've always admired!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for visiting My Little Bungalow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...