Sunday, October 11, 2015

Homemade Cinnamon Applesauce


Autumn, with its abundance of fresh apples at the grocery and farmers markets, is the perfect time to make homemade applesauce. I adapted the following recipe from Epicurious. It is very tasty -- nice and sweet and "cinnamony." It pairs well with a PB&J sandwich. 

Before now, I'd never made applesauce. Now, I'm a convert. Sure, purchasing prepared applesauce is easy, but homemade is soooo much better! I would like to experiment with flavored applesauce like this recipe for cranberry applesauce, which would be perfect at Thanksgiving.

Making applesauce is easy. The most time consuming part is peeling, coring and dicing the apples, which, to be honest, is not my favorite task. What I like to do when I have this kind of task is to turn it into a meditative moment by giving thanks to God for the blessing of having food to prepare and a home in which to prepare it. For me, this makes the task more enjoyable and fulfilling. I also view cooking as a creative outlet and an expression of love. It's nice to have a husband who is so appreciative of my efforts, too. Now, for the recipe ...

Cinnamon Applesauce

Ingredients:
3 lbs. apples, peeled, cored and diced (I used McIntosh)
1 cup water (this much water never evaporated; try as is or reduce water to 3/4 cup or less)
1 cinnamon stick
1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Directions:
1) In a heavy, large saucepan, combine diced apples, water, cinnamon stick and brown sugar. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 6 to 12 minutes until almost all liquid is evaporated (note: in my experience, the water did not evaporate, but I just forged ahead and the end product was great). Remove pan from heat.

2) Stir in lemon juice and ground cinnamon. Stir well. Let cool 30 minutes, then mash with a fork or a potato masher, leaving chunks or mashing to a smoother consistency.

I'd love to hear from you. Do you make applesauce from scratch? Is it plain with only a little added sugar? Do you add other fruits? As I was searching online for a recipe to make, I saw several that didn't use any water, only a small amount of lemon juice, but I thought the apples would stick to the pan. If you have experience making a no-water-added recipe, please let me know if it works. Thanks for visiting My Little Bungalow!

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for this recipe! I usually use the slow cooker. Sometimes I add a couple of pears in place of apples. I love fresh cranberries, so I may also add those. Applesauce is very forgiving! And I agree, homemade is so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello A,
      Yum, I bet adding pears is delicious! I'm definitely going to try adding cranberries next time. Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment. I appreciate it so much.
      Claudia

      Delete
  2. Oh my this brings back memories of my childhood growing up in Indiana. I am going to try this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How nice! Childhood memories are the best.
      Claudia

      Delete
  3. Wow! Looks so yummy. Gotta try this! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Macintosh apples originated in Ontario, so yaaay! for another Canadian contribution.

    They're my favorite apples for making apple sauce. Your recipe is similar to mine, but I run it through the food mill with the peel. It's my lazy way of adding more fibre and colour. I'm not sure if I use a cup of water though. I always add enough to prevent the apples from scorching, and go from there.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for visiting My Little Bungalow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...