Friday, November 27, 2015

Cranberry Sauce with Port and Cinnamon

Happy belated Thanksgiving! I don't know about you, but this holiday sure did sneak up on my this year, then it flew by! I took Wednesday off from work and used the day to run  errands, grocery shop and cook (Pumpkin pie, check. Cranberry sauce, check. Applesauce, check.)

On Thanksgiving morning, I went to the gym (it was open from 8 to 2) and swam for 40 minutes -- my favorite way to start the day. Later I watched the National Dog Show (a Thanksgiving tradition) while I dusted the living room and vacuumed during the commercials. Then I prepared the wild rice pilaf for supper before going on a walk with my husband, our niece, Lindsay, and the pups. It was an absolutely beautiful, warm day -- perfect for a walk!

This year my husband's sister offered to cook the turkey, gravy, stuffing and corn casserole and bring them to our home for supper, which was greatly appreciated. Our side dishes, in addition to the corn casserole, stuffing and rice pilaf, consisted of steamed haricot verts, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce and applesauce. It was a delicious meal enjoyed by all who were present. My mother-in-law, who was home with a cold and bad cough, was sorely missed.

This year I tried a new cranberry sauce recipe I'd like to share. If you do the traditional turkey or ham for Christmas dinner, this cranberry sauce would be a perfect accompaniment. I found the recipe at Epicurious.com but added more sugar. If you like your sauce less sweet, try 1/2 cup, or even the 1/4 cup called for in the recipe. Start with the smallest amount, taste it and add more sugar if desired. 



Cranberry Sauce with Port Wine and Cinnamon

1 cup ruby Port
2 cinnamon sticks
1 cup dried sweetened cranberries
1 bag (12 oz) fresh cranberries, rinsed and sorted
3/4 cup water
3/4 cup sugar
  • In a heavy, medium saucepan, bring Port and cinnamon sticks to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium and simmer 5 minutes. 
  • Add dried cranberries and simmer until slightly softened, about 3 minutes.
  • Add fresh cranberries, water and sugar. Bring to a boil, stirring until sugar dissolves.
  • Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until sauce thickens and is darker in color and berries collapse, stirring often, about 20 minutes.
  • Transfer to a bowl and let cool. Discard cinnamon sticks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for visiting My Little Bungalow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...