Monday, November 30, 2015

Making an Advent Wreath


This year we are starting a new Christmas tradition in our home: an Advent wreath. I've been looking at different ones on Pinterest. While I like the versions with all white candles, I wanted to go more traditional, using purple, pink and white. Each color and candle has a particular meaning. The circular shape of an Advent wreath is also symbolic, as is the use of greenery.

After searching online sources for an Advent wreath to purchase and visiting a few local stores but not finding just what I wanted, I opted to make my own. It's simple! First I purchased the traditional purple and pink taper candles, then I bought four inexpensive brass taper holders. From my candle stash, I dug out a white pillar candle from Ikea. Then I set each candle on top of a glass cake stand to elevate the display and protect the dining table from wax and sap. I asked my husband to gather some fresh evergreens as he was out hiking with the dogs. And voila, we now have a lovely, simple and inexpensive Advent wreath. We couldn't be happier with it.

Yesterday was the first Sunday of Advent and as we sat down to supper, we lit the first purple taper. Often called the Prophecy Candle, it recalls the prophets who foretold the birth of Christ and represents the anticipation of the coming Messiah. 

Next Sunday we'll light the second purple candle, which represents love. Sometimes called the Bethlehem Candle, it symbolizes Christ's manger.

On December 13, we'll light the pink taper, the Shepherd's Candle, which represents joy. On this Sunday, the priest's robe at Mass is also pink.

And on December 20 we will light the last purple candle, which stands for peace and is often called the Angel's Candle.

On Christmas eve, the white pillar candle in the center will be lit. This is the Christ Candle, which represents the life of Christ that has come into the world. With the lighting of each candle, we read a passage from the Bible and reflect on the true meaning of Christmas: the birth of Jesus.

What holiday traditions do you and your family follow? Please share by leaving a comment here. I'd love to hear from you!

Wishing you a peaceful holiday season.
          

1 comment:

  1. Lovely and simple advent wreath. I really like it. We used to do an advent wreath when the kids were young, but through the years we got away from it. One of the holiday traditions which is an absolute must at our house is the baking of many kinds of cookies - baked by me. There are numerous recipes I make only at Christmas and usually I add one or two new varieties. The season wouldn't be the same without all these cookies.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for visiting My Little Bungalow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...