Sunday, December 20, 2015

Kale and Pumpkin Smoothie


I love to make smoothies for breakfast. I experiment with all kinds of ingredients. My standard breakfast smoothie contains:
  • Low-fat or fat-free yogurt
  • Almond, cashew or soy milk
  • A scoop of whey protein powder
  • Banana (fresh or frozen)
  • Some local honey
To this base I add various ingredients from this list:
  • Frozen blueberries and/or strawberries
  • Walnuts
  • Ground flax seed
  • Dry, uncooked oats
  • Raw kale
  • Cinnamon
  • Cayenne pepper (just a touch goes nicely with chocolate protein powder)
  • Canned pumpkin puree
  • Almond butter or peanut butter
This morning, after a swim at the gym, I made a kale and pumpkin smoothie for breakfast. From the list above, I included everything except protein powder, the frozen berries, cayenne and the nut butters. I like smoothies on the thick, chunky side, so little bits of walnut or kale makes it substantial. 

I think this kind of breakfast is great brain food and boosts your immunity. My goal is to stay well and healthy throughout the holiday season and not get sick right around Christmas like I did last year! 


 

3 comments:

  1. Such a healthy and smart alternative to all the holiday sweets out there! Thanks for the recipe, Claudia. Merry Christmas to you all and the pups :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Claudia! Merry Christmas to you and Paul! Hope you are well and enjoying all the holiday has to offer. May your new year be filled with health and happiness!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas to you Loi and Ann, and happy New Year!
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for visiting My Little Bungalow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...