Thursday, December 10, 2015

Pumpkin Pecan Bread

 

Halloween and Thanksgiving have passed, and we're in the throes of Christmas and Hanukkah preparations and celebrations. It feels like winter, but it is still autumn here in the northern hemisphere (the first full day of winter isn't until December 22) -- and autumn is the perfect time of year to cook with pumpkin. 

Last weekend I whipped up a loaf of pumpkin bread studded with pecans. Whether you use homemade pumpkin puree from fresh pumpkins (too much work for me!) or the canned variety (my choice is Libby's brand), this bread is a delicious treat any time of year. For extra pumpkin goodness, try a slice topped with Trader Joe's pumpkin butter. Delicious!

As you may know, I follow a gluten-free diet so I use a flour substitute when baking. Instead of my tried and true Cup 4 Cup brand (I was out and Whole Foods didn't have any on the shelf), I tried King Arthur Gluten-free Multi-purpose Flour. The end result was mixed: the taste was excellent, but the texture was gritty the day I made the bread. The next day, however, it was much better. The grittiness was gone, the texture was still crumbly, and the taste delicious. I'm still a fan of Cup 4 Cup, but it's good to know this less expensive brand is a decent substitute.

Some variations on this recipe include adding 1/2 cup raisins or dried cranberries to the flour mixture before adding the liquid ingredients. You can also top the cooled bread with a simple confectioner's sugar glaze, though I think it's sweet enough as is.

Pumpkin Pecan Bread

Ingredients:
Nonstick cooking spray for loaf pan
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour or gluten-free flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 cup chopped pecans (or walnuts)
2 large eggs
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
3/4 cup canned pumpkin puree
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Directions:
1) Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9" x 5" loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray.

2) In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, nutmeg and ginger until combined. Stir in nuts. Make a well in center and set aside.

3) In a medium bowl, using a wire whisk, lightly beat eggs. Add the granulated sugar and light brown sugar and whisk until smooth. Add the pumpkin puree and stir until well combined. Gradually whisk in oil until well blended. Stir in vanilla.

4) Pour the liquid mixture into the well in the center of the flour mixture and stir until combined. Spoon batter evenly into the prepared pan.

5) Bake until golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean, 50 to 60 minutes. Remove pan from oven and let cool about 10 minutes. Turn the bread out onto a wire rack and let cool.          

 

 

What to do with the leftover canned pumpkin? Try making a breakfast smoothie with pumpkin puree, nonfat vanilla yogurt, a frozen banana, almond milk and a touch of nutmeg. I can tell you first-hand it's a yummy way to start the day!

Or check out these ideas from Hello Glow featuring links to 25 pumpkins recipes, like pumpkin spice white hot chocolate (yum!), or these beauty fixes that use pumpkin. 

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this recipe! I made it and it is in the oven and filling the house with wonderful aromas!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rhoda, I am smiling as I read your comment. Thank you for letting me know that you've tried this recipe. I hope you love it! The aroma is wonderful, isn't it? Enjoy the season!
      Claudia

      Delete
  2. I'm trying it right now! Smells delicious. Am going to make honey butter to go with it. I always love the recipes you share, Claudia.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for visiting My Little Bungalow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...