Monday, January 11, 2016

Banana Chocolate Espresso Swirl Muffins

As promised in my last post, I'm sharing photos of the first recipe I made from the pages of Bake from Scratch magazine: these delicious, oversized banana chocolate and espresso swirl muffins. That name is a mouthful, and so are the muffins! I made them in my Williams-Sonoma's Goldtouch nonstick jumbo muffin pan. The recipe is supposed to yield eight jumbo muffins, but my pan has just six wells, so I made only six muffins. They're extra big. And delicious. I used organic all-purpose flour, and my typical buttermilk substitute, which is nonfat milk and nonfat plain yogurt mixed together to equal the amount of buttermilk called for in the recipe (example: 1 cup buttermilk = 1/2 cup milk plus enough yogurt stirred in to equal one cup).



The muffins turned out looking more chocolate filled than swirled. They were moist and delicious, and surprisingly not too sweet, though I could only eat a half at a time. I threw a couple in the freezer to enjoy in a month or two.


The next recipe I think I'll make from the Bake from Scratch magazine is a strawberry and apple cobbler, a recipe featured in the article on baking in a cast iron skillet. I didn't have a cast iron skillet, so I bought one over the weekend, a 10.25" Lodge cast iron skillet. I look forward to making all sorts of things in it, from desserts to frittatas. I really like that Lodge products are made in the U.S., and they are reasonably priced. I bought another very exciting kitchen item over the weekend, too. More on that in my next post, so stay tuned.

5 comments:

  1. The sight of those muffins made my tummy growl! You are such a good baker, Claudia. I was unfamiliar with that magazine, but I'm going to get a copy and see if it's worth subscribing to. Maybe all of your readers could each try a recipe and send you the results? It would be a great excuse to bake stuff on a cold winter's day!

    Love and good eats,
    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sheila. So good to hear from you. I don't think this magazine is available by subscription. I think you'll have to visit a bookstore (like B&N) or buy a copy online. It's worth it. I'm thinking of buying the first issue online. If you end up making something from it, let me know.

      Delete
  2. These look fabulous and yummy!!! But oh so large. Could I make them in mini-muffin pans also? I do think muffins are tricky...they can be over baked so quickly, and on the other hand can come out much too gooey. I know our bookstore has the magazine, so I'll try to buy it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Libby. I am sure you could make these in regular sized muffin tins but you'd have to be careful about how long you bake them so they come out just right. I wouldn't do them in mini muffin tins because of the chocolate batter that is added and swirled. I think it would be too small. If you give it a try, let me know how it turns out.
      Claudia

      Delete
  3. Oh baby! I am pinning this recipe even though I hate to bake!!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for visiting My Little Bungalow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...