Friday, February 12, 2016

Heart-shaped Waffles


This buttermilk waffle recipe is the best! Since going gluten-free in April of 2014, I've missed having waffles for breakfast on occasion. However, after recently discovering that I can tolerate organic flour -- and finding the waffle iron that I had hidden away -- I suggested to my husband (our resident waffle maker) that we have waffles for Sunday breakfast. I prepared the batter, he handled the cooking process. 

Our heart-shaped waffle maker -- perfect for Valentine's Day -- is by Black & Decker, but we've had it many years. I visited their website and it looks like they don't sell heart-shaped waffle irons any longer, but you can find them other places, such as Amazon

This is the best waffle recipe we've tried, a favorite that dates back to 2010 when we first made them. The flavor and texture are outstanding. Our waffle iron produces a thinner waffle, but I'm sure this recipe would fantastic as a thick Belgian waffle. Enjoy!  

Wishing you and those you love a very happy Valentine's Day!

Buttermilk Waffles

Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups low-fat buttermilk
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs

Directions:
1) In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.

2) In a large bowl, whisk together buttermilk, melted butter and eggs. Add the flour mixture to the buttermilk mixture and stir just until batter is combined. For the most tender waffles, do not overmix the batter. There should still be some lumps remaining.

3) Heat your waffle iron, oil the surface if needed, pour the appropriate amount of batter onto the iron, and cook according to manufacturer's instructions. Transfer waffles to a plate and keep warm in an oven set on low heat. Serve with butter, maple syrup, nuts or your favorite toppings.

Take a peek at some more great Valentine's Day ideas on my Pinterest board here.

1 comment:

  1. I just typed up a comment and I think my laptop ate it. Or maybe your blog did?

    I will definitely give this recipe a try - I love waffles!

    And your recent cookie recipe? I've made them three times since, doubling the recipe each time and now carry photocopies of the recipe in my purse to dole out to anyone who will listen.

    Hope you had a nice Valentine's Day. Eric spent the weekend in China so we'll have to make up for it when his jet lag wears off, probably some time in March LOL.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for visiting My Little Bungalow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...