Monday, February 1, 2016

Sweets: Chocolate-Coconut Cookies and Jonboy Caramels

When I think of February, I think of sweets, most likely because of Valentine's Day, I imagine. Yesterday I had a hankering to bake, but because it was such a beautiful day, I first took the dogs for a walk (we all needed the exercise and fresh air!). But then I set about making a batch of chocolate-coconut cookies! I used a recipe found on the blog Baked by Rachel. I had all the ingredients, but changed a couple of minor things. Rather than using a semisweet chocolate baking bar roughly chopped into chunks, I used semisweet chocolate chips, weighing out 4 ounces with my handy digital scale. I also did not sprinkle the cookies with flaked sea salt as called for in the recipe. The final product is delicious -- crunchy on the outside, chewy on the inside. This is definitely a cookie I'll make again!





Below is the list of ingredients. As mentioned above, I used 4 ounces of semisweet chocolate chips (Ghirardelli brand). I found it interesting that this recipe uses three types of sugars: granulated, light brown and powdered.

For the full recipe, visit Baked by Rachel. Here are a few notes from my experience:
  • As called for, I chilled the dough in the refrigerator for 2 hours. Still, my cookies seemed to spread more than Rachel's, which is fine with me. My finished cookies and her finished cookies look quite different.
  • The recipe says to use a medium cookie scoop. I have a scoop that is 1-5/8" in diameter, but I didn't fill it with dough. I found that the chilled dough was trickier to scoop. My cookies came out all different sizes, but they baked evenly and were done in 12 minutes.
  • Instead of immediately transferring the cookies to a wire rack, I let them sit on the baking sheet for one minute before transferring to a rack to cool. This allowed the cookies to firm up a bit before moving them. The parchment-lined sheet prevented the cookies from sticking.

 

Another sweet thing I'd like to share with you are Jonboy Caramels, made in Seattle. My friend sent me some for Christmas: one box of molasses ginger (my favorite) and one box of fleur de sel. They are heavenly. These caramels would make a sweet Valentine's Day gift. You can purchase them online from their website.



Do you have a favorite Valentine treat or special plans for this year's Valentine's Day?
 

5 comments:

  1. Those cookies look incredible! I will definitely be giving them a try this weekend. Did you end up putting the 1/4 tsp salt in the batter? (Yes, I will look at the original recipe, probably should have before starting this comment).

    My favorite YouTube chef, Bruno Albouze, just posted a fleur de sel caramel recipe that looks SO GOOD! It's also going on my to-do list. Do check it out on YouTube.

    Molasses ginger caramels sound amazing! I went through a phase where I was eating ginger Chimes at an alarming rate. I even convinced my local grocer to stock them. (Many people have cursed me for this). If you love ginger, give them a try if you haven't already. My favorites are the plain ginger, orange ginger or mango ginger Chimes. I could eat ginger by the boat-load!

    Your photos are all drool-worthy, by the way! Just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann, thanks for the compliments. So nice of you. Yes, I did use the amount of salt called for in the dough, but did not sprinkle the top with the flaked salt (I don't have any of it, nor do I think they need it). I'll have to look up Bruno Albouze and his caramel recipe. I am not familiar with Chimes, but will look for them! They sound great. I love ginger!
      Claudia

      Delete
    2. I made the cookies and wow, are they ever good! I had some Maldon salt, so I sprinkled one tray of cookies with it, and the other without, just to experiment. The cookies with the Maldon were beyond excellent. I will definitely make these again. Mine turned out like yours, flat and crispy around the edges, but with a chewy inside, just how I like them!

      Delete
    3. Oh good! So glad you made the cookies and loved them. Okay, I'm going to have to make them again but top them with some fancy salt next time!!
      Claudia

      Delete
  2. Great post, these cookies look so delicious, thank you for the share

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for visiting My Little Bungalow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...