Sunday, April 10, 2016

Pecan Sandies

Looking for an easy and delicious cookie recipe? Try making a batch of pecan sandies. Only six ingredients are needed: butter, sugar, flour, salt, vanilla and pecans. No leavening agent or eggs are required. These little cookies come out crisp and sandy, hence their name! They're buttery and perfect for people who love pecans, like my husband and my best friend. Give them a try!


Pecan Sandies

Ingredients:
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter at room temperature
1/2 cup packed light-brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract (I use Nielsen-Massey brand)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup all-purpose flour (I use King Arthur 100% organic flour)
1 cup pecans, chopped

Directions:
1) Position oven racks in upper and lower thirds of oven and preheat to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and salt and beat until blended. With mixer on low, gradually add flour and beat just until combined. Stir in pecans.
2) Using your hands, roll dough into 1-1/2-inch balls and place on parchment lined baking sheets, 2 inches apart. Lightly flatten each ball with the palm of your hand or the bottom of a glass or metal measuring cup.
3) Bake until golden brown, 15 to 17 minutes, rotating sheets halfway through. Transfer to wire racks and let cool. Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.


7 comments:

  1. Oh they look yummy! Wonder if I could substitute for gluten free flour? X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Elisa, so nice to hear from you! I would certainly try using a gluten-free flour substitute such as Cup 4 Cup brand, which is my favorite. I have recently found that using organic flour doesn't give me the awful side effects that regular flour does, but I still eat a mostly gluten-free diet because I just feel better. Gluten-free flour might make these cookies less "sandy" but I'd give it a try. Let me know how it turns out!
      Claudia

      Delete
  2. For some unbeknownst reason, I have 2 open bags of pecans in my freezer. This recipe will help me remedy that!

    Does the recipe make 2 dozen?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfect! So glad I could help with that. Yes, I ended up with 24 cookies, but the recipe said it would yield 18. I find that the amounts never match up, don't you?

      Delete
    2. I have to admit to sometimes weighing each ball of dough before baking. I'm all about repeatability like that! 24 cookies is a nice amount. I'll have to try baking both cookie sheets at the same time and switching them half-way. That would make this a nice quick recipe! I'll report back.

      We're changing out our hot water tank right now. The guys have been at it since 9AM, and while I worked today, we don't have ANY WATER except for the bathtub I reminded them to fill! Hopefully we'll have things back on track any minute because it's turning into a fiasco.

      No baking for me tonight! Hope you and Paul and the doggies are having a more relaxing time.

      Delete
    3. Wow, that's precision! And I thought I was detail oriented! What sign are you?

      I hope your water heater installation turned out okay. That's on our list of things to do. We've been in our house almost 18 years and have had the same water heater (it was probably 3 to 5 yrs old when we bought the house). It works very well, knock on wood. But we should replace it before anything happens to it.

      Delete
    4. I am a Leo which explains many things! I also happen to be of German descent, and had precision and timeliness nailed into me at an early age. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

      Well, the tank was finally in at 11:30, and now the house looks like a BOMB went off. They needed to open the drywall on 2 walls and re-do the pipes (changing Pex for copper) and re-do the insulation. But now the job is done, and it's just the clean-up left to do.

      If your tank is nearly 20 years old, it's probably time to replace it. Do check your homeowner's insurance policy, because ours has a clause that requires us to replace it every 10 years. A bit overkill in my opinion, but better safe than sorry.

      Delete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for visiting My Little Bungalow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...