Sunday, June 26, 2016

Additions to the Garden

Hello there! I wanted to share some changes we've made to the garden. We went back to the nursery we discovered this spring because two varieties of plants we purchased weren't doing well, and I wanted to ask the owner what was ailing them. By the way, he offered to give us new plants free of charge, which we greatly appreciated, but refused. That wasn't our intent; we only wanted to get to the root of the problem (excuse the pun). However, after purchasing several new plants, we realized we were given 20% off our entire order. How sweet! There's nothing better than supporting small, local businesses and dealing directly with the owner. So much better than buying from big box stores.

Anyway, you may remember in this post I introduced you to our new plants. It was the coreopsis 'Jethro Tull' that was dying -- the one with beautiful yellow flower. The other coreopsis called 'Zagreb,' which I didn't take a photo of at the time because there were only tightly closed buds, has been thriving. We learned yesterday that the two types, while both sun loving, have different water needs, and 'Jethro Tull' had gotten too much water (it had rained a ton just after Paul planted everything). 

We decided to pull out the 'Jethro Tull' and replace them with more 'Zagreb.' You can see it in the photo below. The yellow flowers are small but plentiful, and the needle-like foliage is full and bushy. It's a lovely plant and looks perfect along the fence.

One of the new additions is Stokes' aster 'Peachie's Pick.' It is a full sun plant that blooms from mid-summer through early fall and reaches a height of 14". I just read that the foliage is evergreen, which is a nice surprise. The vibrant flowers, which attract loads of bees and butterflies, appear to close up somewhat toward the end of the day.




Behind the aster we planted a grass called Upright Little Bluestem 'Standing Ovation.' The purplish tips of the stalks look beautiful with the purple aster. This plant grows to 3 or 4 feet and flowers in summer.


The other grass we purchased is purple fountain grass 'Rubrum,' which we added to the Japanese garden, below. This grass also flowers and reaches a height of three to four feet. Ornamental grasses are some of my favorite plants in a garden, and I especially love dark red ones. 

I'd like to add more grasses to the garden over time. My husband won't be thrilled to hear this since every time "we" put in new plants, it's a backbreaking task of hacking through thick roots from old trees and other junk. It's a lot of work for him. See the rock in front of the temple below? It was unearthed as Paul was digging a hole for the purple fountain grass. He placed it there as decoration, and I love it. I would like to add more rocks and stones to this part of the garden over time.


Last, but not least, are some shots of our pretty dahlias, which are doing beautifully. I love cutting them to enjoy throughout the house!



Well, that's the tour. Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear what's growing in your garden, from flowers to vegetables. Leave a comment by clicking on "Comments" below!
 

7 comments:

  1. Claudia: I have one suggestion for planting in the garden and having to hack through roots: containers!!! A big part of my shaded terrace garden is under a big Japanese maple. No way I can dig into anything around there, except maybe for some small annuals! So I now have quite a collection of gorgeous big planters. I am in love with them. You could do some low ones and taller. Well, something to think about! Maybe I'll do a garden tour and update too… I am SO behind on the blog right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Libby! I love containers too, but are they winter-proof? We have no place to store them over the winter. Plus, with perennials, can they stay in containers year-round and will they come year to year like if they were in the ground?
      Claudia

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. He certainly is, Mary Ann. He certainly is!

      Delete
  3. Claudia, your photos are spectacular! Your garden is filling in beautifully. I love the aster, and like you, adore ornamental grasses. I have a reference book aptly called "Grasses" by Nancy Ondra. Highly recommended!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely flowers! Found your blog by googling dahlias and really enjoy your photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Donna. So nice to hear from you, and thank you for the compliment. Welcome to My Little Bungalow. I hope you continue to follow along and let me know a bit about you!
      Claudia

      Delete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for visiting My Little Bungalow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...