Thursday, July 7, 2016

A Pimm's-St. Germain-Gin Cocktail


I discovered this delicious cocktail at the French bistro-style bar in our city's newest hotel. It's an absolutely lovely drink, and when I exclaimed over how much I liked it, the bartender generously shared the recipe with me! Of course, I had neither Pimm's nor St. Germain in what I thought was my well-stocked home bar, so a trip to the liquor store was in order  -- two stores, in fact, as the first didn't have Pimm's in stock! But I was a woman on a mission, and two liquor stores later I had the makings for this special cocktail.

We had friends over for dinner on the 4th of July and I made this cocktail for both Amy and myself. It contains a fair amount of liquor, so it has a good kick to it. I must say, it's my new favorite. 

1-1/2 oz. Pimm's
3/4 oz. St. Germain elderflower liqueur
3/4 oz. gin (I use Tanqueray, but the bartender used Beefeater; either will work nicely)
3/4 oz. fresh lime juice
1/2 oz. homemade simple syrup*
dash of bitters (optional; I omit it)
mint leaf (optional)

Combine all ingredients and stir well, or add to a shaker and shake well. Serve on the rocks and float a mint leaf on top if you wish. I like to use a slow-melting sphere ice ball, which I featured in this post. Cheers!

* To make simple syrup, combine equal parts of water and sugar in a saucepan. Heat over medium heat, stirring, until the sugar melts. Remove from heat, let cool and refrigerate. For this recipe, I used organic cane sugar from Trader Joe's, which has a slightly brownish cast, making the simple syrup brown (as seen in the photo below in the jar on the right). I think it's even more delicious than regular sugar simple syrup! 

  

4 comments:

  1. Ok, that looks so amazing that I think I need to get some Saint-Germain! I LOVE elderflowers, but have never even heard of Saint-Germain. It's only available across the border in Ontario, but I think Eric is returning to Paris next week, so we'll have to add this to his shopping list (the poor guy).

    Hope you had a nice Fourth and that your weather is great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did have a nice 4th of July and enjoyed some great fireworks. It was the one evening we didn't get a thunderstorm so that was lucky. We've been having quite the rain lately. Nice for the grass and plants, but some of the lightening and winds are scary.

      Delete
  2. I adore St. Germain! Was given a bottle a year ago and love everything about it: the taste, and the packaging. And love Pimms too. Not keen on gin, but hey, I might try this minus the gin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Libby, it is delicious w/out the gin, I tried a sip before adding the gin. I happen to love gin and think it adds a nice complexity to the drink and makes it not too sweet since the other two are liqueurs. My friend isn't a fan of gin, but she really enjoyed the drink with the gin in it.
      Claudia

      Delete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for visiting My Little Bungalow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...