Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Homemade Lavender Fabric Softener


If you love the smell of lavender like I do, you'll want to experiment with lavender essential oil. At night, before going to bed, I mix a drop of it with unscented hand lotion to moisturize my hands. The scent of lavender is very soothing and calming -- perfect for bedtime.

Another way to use it is to put three or four drops of the oil on a cotton ball and add it to your vacuum bag (or simply vacuum up the cotton ball). The smell of lavender will fill the air as you vacuum the house. 

I visited the Aura Cacia website recently to get more ideas for how to use essential oils and found a recipe for lavender fabric softener. All you need is white vinegar, baking soda and lavender essential oil.

Here's how to make it:
Add 2 tablespoons of baking soda to 1/2 cup white vinegar.

Note: do not mix the vinegar and baking soda in a 1-cup measure, as I did below. Use a 2-cup measure or larger. Remember from science class what happens when you mix baking soda and vinegar? Well, as I was taking photos and my husband was adding the baking soda, the mixture quickly bubbled up and over the cup and ran all over the counter! Should have known better! We had a good laugh over it.



When the fizzing stops, add 90 drops of lavender essential oil (this produces a strongly scented mixture, but when my clothes and towels came out of the dryer, they didn't smell strongly of lavender). Pour the mixture into a glass bottle or jar. To use, gently shake the jar and add 2 tablespoons (for a small load) or 4 tablespoons (for a large load) to the rinse cycle of your washing machine.

Here are more ideas for using lavender essential oil:
There are many other fragrances too, such as lemon, sweet orange, eucalyptus, patchouli and rose, as well as blends. I'd like to begin experimenting with more essential oil recipes and scents. Do you use essential oils in your beauty or house cleaning routines?
 
This is not a sponsored post.

2 comments:

  1. I love this sort of recipe! Recently I made my own detergent using lavender and Castile soap, white vinegar and water. I use it for my sheets and hang them out in the sunshine to dry. Bliss!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make air freshener - fill a small spray bottle half full of rubbing alcohol, add essential oils of your choosing (I vary the blend based on the season), fill remainder of bottle with distilled water and shake well.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for visiting My Little Bungalow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...