Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Color Selections: Front Door and Hallway

Hello, friends. Sorry I've been away for a while. I guess I needed a little break. We're into fall now, but our weather isn't showing it just yet. Our front door, however, has taken on an autumnal look. We had it painted two weeks ago. Thanks for those of you who offered feedback and opinions on colors in this post. We ended up choosing Aztec Brick, a Benjamin Moore color, but we had Sherwin-Williams match it because we buy nearly all our paint from them (they were also having a 30% off sale, which was a plus).

Here's our newly painted front door! See how much darker it looks through the screen in the second photo? To be honest, I wasn't sure how I felt about the color when it was first painted. But it has grown on me the past two weeks, and now I like it very much. It's very similar to our dining room wall color. As one reader noted, it's good to think about colors inside the home when choosing a front door color for cohesiveness. Of course the true color is a bit different from the colors in these photos. The first photo is too red, the last photo is too orange. It's somewhere in between.



 
We had our hallway painted the same day as the door. It was a pale minty green that I'd been unhappy with for years. We chose Sherwin-Williams Canvas Tan. I won't even try to post a photo because our hallway is impossible to photograph. It's long and narrow and not well lit. The digital swatches online of Canvas Tan seem much darker than what I see on our walls. I'm super pleased with the results. Canvas Tan has lightened up the hallway and contrasts nicely with our Bleeker Beige (Ben Moore) trim color. We left the ceiling the darker shade of green that contrasted so well with the previously lighter green walls. The painters (both women, by the way, and fantastic!) kept commenting on how cool the light walls look with the darker ceiling. The walls are also an eggshell finish which has a beautiful sheen and reflects the light so nicely both during the day and at night. What a difference a couple of coats of paint can make!

UPDATE, 10/20: Here is a photo I snapped the other day of the hallway. It turned out better than I had expected. It gives some idea of what the Canvas Tan paint color looks like. The trim is Bleeker Beige. The ceiling is actually green, but I don't recall the name of the color, as it was painted many years ago.


 What's new in your home?
 

10 comments:

  1. That color is fantastic! It's so cheerful and suits the house's style perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is simply stunning! The color is just perfect! You both must be thrilled!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Claudia, the color is earthy and classical at the same time, I love it. Nice intro for your guests into the dining area. New in our home our fall pillows, time to tuck the summer pillows in the closet and transition to autumn colors! Enjoy your new front door color! Jane :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love love love it!!!! You know that is definitely my kind of color... Perfect choice Claudia. Can we see more of your dining room, maybe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Libby! You can see more of our dining room (my favorite room in the house) here: http://mylittlebungalow.blogspot.com/2015/09/new-shades-for-dining-room.html. And here: http://mylittlebungalow.blogspot.com/2011/03/dining-room-set-for-spring.html
      Claudia

      Delete
  5. Perfect! Panel door looks stunning in this color.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh goodness, it's so beautiful! I love the photo of the hallway, with such a beautiful display on your jelly cabinet. I adore a light-coloured hallway.

    Fall is in full force here, and I can't describe the beautiful orange, yellow and red that covers the landscape. Fall in the North East has to be the prettiest time of year!

    Are you planning on decorating your porch with pumpkins again this year? I saw a beautiful display yesterday with potted yellow mums, lots of pumpkins and dried corn stalks. An image straight out of Country Living magazine!

    What's new in our house, you ask? We installed air-conditioning this summer and could not have picked a better year for it. All my needs have now been met! (Well...maybe a finished floor...but that gives me something to look forward to, non?)

    Any more painting or redecorating in your future?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, the hallway is making me very happy. I just love the color (even though it's "white" there are so many shades of white), and the eggshell finish is lovely. So glad to hear you have AC ... never know when you'll need it up in your parts, I guess, but it's a necessity this far south! This week we've had temps in the upper 80s. I've had the week off and it was PERFECT weather. I love Octobers here.

      We bought one pumpkin a few weeks ago and immediately the squirrels began to gnaw on it, so we had to throw it away. I was so angry! So no, I don't think we're going to invest any more money in pumpkins. I can't believe the squirrels were so greedy, especially with all the acorns we have this year. Our house is being hammered with them falling from the trees.
      Claudia
      Claudia

      Delete
  7. I love the door color! Plus, its perfect for fall.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for visiting My Little Bungalow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...