Saturday, September 10, 2016

End-of-Summer Cocktails

The first day of fall isn't until September 22, folks, which means summer isn't officially over until the 21st! So let's enjoy the last of our summer days with two cool, refreshing cocktails. Check out the two below and visit my Drinks page on Pinterest for more ideas.

First, a traditional Tom Collins. When I was a little girl I remember my parents ordering this cocktail in restaurants. I tried a sip of my mother's once and actually liked it. I also thought the name was great, so when my best friend and I played "house," I gave my "pretend husband" the name Tom Collins. My parents thought that was pretty funny!


Tom Collins

Combine: 
  • 2 ounces gin (my preference is Tanqueray
  • 2 ounces freshly squeezed lemon juice  
  • 1 ounce homemade simple syrup
Serve over ice and top with 1/4 cup cold club soda. Stir. Garnish with fresh fruit and lemon peel.


And here is a unique margarita recipe from the Vitamix cookbook I received when I purchased our Vitamix blender. I found it a little on the weak side, so I increased the amount of tequila in the recipe below to 6 ounces. If you want it less strong, use 4 ounces.

Blueberry Margarita

Place the following ingredients into a blender container:
  • 1/2 cup simple syrup 
  • 1/2 cup orange juice 
  • 1/4 cup fresh lime juice 
  • 6 ounces tequila 
  • 1/2 cup pure blueberry juice (I use R.W. Knudsen brand)  
  • 1 cup frozen blueberries 
  • 4 cups ice cubes
Blend for 25 to 30 seconds or until desired consistency is reached. 

 
When I thought about making this cocktail, I realized we didn't have any true margarita glasses, so I bought a couple of Clara margarita glasses at Williams-Sonoma. They have a nice, green tint to them and a pretty shape. I didn't realize until I started shopping for margarita glasses that they vary a bit in size and shape. I like this style the best. Now that I have the glasses, I'll have to experiment with different margarita recipes.

Enjoy the last days of summer, and cheers!
 
  

6 comments:

  1. I'm not a gin fan, so the Tom Collins wouldn't do for me...but oh, that Blueberry Margarita! Looks heavenly. And I love the glasses.
    Summer is very much still here...I just finished my 30 min. swim and the water is 85. That's pretty perfect in my book. Unlike almost everyone else around here, i have really enjoyed this hot summer! Hot weather just makes me feel good and oh so happy...yes, I do complain, but in general I love it. Anyway, it will soon transition to cooler days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love a Tom Collins! So refreshing! Pretty glasses, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anti-oxidant rich cocktails! Sign me up! Happy to see your Vitamix getting so much air-time.

    We've been imbibing on Pisco Sours all summer long. Eric came back from Chile raving about it, and it didn't take us long to covert all of our friends into pisco fiends. I've been buying limes by the gross at Costco.

    Love your story about your pretend husband Tom Collins. Hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not familiar with pisco, but just saw a cocktail recipe yesterday in fact that uses it. What does it taste like?
      Claudia

      Delete
    2. It is before noon, but I will have a swig "for scientific purposes!" OK. I'd qualify it as a very, very smooth grappa, with undertones of poire William. The brand we've been buying is El Gobernador, for your reference. It's not something I'd drink on its own, like a grappa or a poire, but we have been enjoying a lot (A LOT) of pisco sours this summer! Now that pisco is on my radar, I have been finding many recipes on line as well.

      I'd love for you to try it!

      Delete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for visiting My Little Bungalow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...