Sunday, October 16, 2016

Chunky Roasted Tomato Sauce


Rarely do I make tomato sauce from scratch. There are so many good-quality pasta sauces at the grocery, it just seems like too much effort to make it from scratch. But something compelled me last month to give this recipe a try, and I'm glad I did. It's easy and very delicious. It was so worth the effort, I made it again this weekend. This time I'm freezing it for future use. My husband really liked it, too. Give it a try! The only down side is that it really stinks up the house. My clothes, my hair ... everything smells like roasted veggies afterward.

Chunky Roasted Tomato Sauce

Ingredients:
3 lbs. fresh beefsteak tomatoes
1 medium onion, halved and sliced 1/4-inch thick
3 small to medium carrots, sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
4 garlic cloves, peeled
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
2 tablespoons olive or avocado oil
coarse salt and freshly ground pepper

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Using a sharp knife, core the tomatoes, then cut then in half. Place them cut side down on a rimmed baking sheet (I like to line the sheet with foil for easy clean up). Add the garlic, carrots and onion. Sprinkle with thyme and basil.



2) Drizzle vegetables with oil. Season generously with salt and pepper. Roast until tender, 45 minutes to 1 hour. If vegetables begin to brown too quickly, push them toward the center of the sheet. Remove from oven and let cool slightly.


3) Using tongs or your fingers, peel off tomato skins and discard. Transfer vegetables, including juices, to a blender container. Pulse several times until chunky. Taste; season with salt and pepper as needed.


4) Let cool completely before transferring to an airtight container. Refrigerate up to 1 week or freeze up to 3 months.


 

1 comment:

  1. I've made "tomates confites" before, but never thought of making a roasted tomato sauce. This looks easy and excellent! I am going to give this a try...

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for visiting My Little Bungalow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...