Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Lemon-Rosemary Simmering Potpourri


For Christmas we received a gift of simmering potpourri mix. It contained cinnamon sticks, cloves and other spices, a bag of fresh cranberries and an orange. Instructions for using the potpourri were included. Rather than slice the orange, though, I used a vegetable peeler and made wide strips of zest -- then I ate the orange!

Would you believe we simmered that potpourri on and off for a couple of weeks at least? We just added water and additional spices as needed. We thoroughly enjoyed its wonderful holiday scent as it filled the house.

Recently, I found a simmering potpourri recipe on Pinterest that uses rosemary, lemon and vanilla so I thought I'd give it a try. One source described it as a great springtime scent. If you like the smell of rosemary, you'll love this recipe. 


DIRECTIONS
Slice a lemon, snip some fresh rosemary from the garden (or buy fresh rosemary from the grocery) and add one to two teaspoons of vanilla extract to some water in a saucepan. Bring to a simmer on the stove top and reduce the heat to very low, adding water as needed. Do not leave unattended for any period of time, and be sure to turn off the heat before you leave the house!

As this potpourri was simmering, I added some ground cinnamon and ginger to give it a bit of spice. This recipe is nice, but it didn't fill the house with aroma the way the Christmas potpourri did, so I wouldn't say it's my favorite.


Even though the holidays are over, I am going to enjoy another round of Christmas simmering potpourri. I'll use cranberries that I have in the freezer (and are probably past their prime for use in food anyway), cinnamon sticks, cloves, some sliced fresh ginger, and nutmeg.

Have you tried stove top potpourri? If so, what's your favorite scent combination?

1 comment:

  1. I have made simmering potpourri, but not for a long time. I used to use it all the time. Thanks for the reminder on this recipe using rosemary, lemon and vanilla. I've had the recipe for some time, but have yet to try it. You've given me the push to get on it!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for visiting My Little Bungalow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...