Tuesday, January 3, 2017

New Year, New Goals

Happy New Year, folks! I hope your new year is off to a great start. Do you make new year's resolutions? I don't really, but I think the new year is a great time for a fresh start, for setting goals, making plans and contemplating the previous year.

One of my goals for 2017 is to blog more often. I'm sad to say that in 2016 I created fewer than 50 posts. Compare that to 2011, the first full year in which I was blogging, when I created 74 posts. Blogging is a pastime I enjoy, but to be honest, sometimes I stress over it. What should I blog about? Will people care enough to leave comments? How much (or how little) should I write? How can I find the time? I don't want this hobby to become a chore. It's also hard not to feel pressure when there are so many great blogs out there with exciting stories of travel and home renovations -- with amazing photographs to boot. 

The blogs I find most enjoyable are those that feature real lives. Blogs like Jones Design Company; For the Love of a House; Classic, Casual Home; Nine & Sixteen and Posie Gets Cozy, to name just a few (see the sidebar for links to more of my favorites). These blogs feature real stories, great photos and personal details. Even though we haven't met, I feel like I know these folks. I would like for my blog to provide that same feeling. Real, honest and personal. So in 2017, I'm going to attempt to post more to my blog and worry less about creating the perfect posts (and how many comments they will or won't generate). I need to remember that I have many readers who don't leave comments, but who enjoy my posts. For this I am very thankful.

Another goal for 2017 is to read more books. Do you know about Goodreads? It's a great place to keep lists of books I've read and those I'd like to read, as well as read member reviews and get recommendations based on books I like. 

Last year I set a reading goal (I'm not even going to share with you the pitifully low number of books I aimed to read) ... needless to say, I didn't meet my goal. Not even close. This year, I have a new reading goal (the number's even higher!), and I am off to a good start already. Yesterday I began reading an Alice Hoffmann novel called Blackbird House, and so far I love it. I read 73 pages in one sitting, which is really good for me, considering that reading almost always puts me to sleep in 20 minutes or less. That's probably one reason I didn't meet my 2016 reading goal. Ha!


A third goal for 2017 is to exercise more. I'm an avid swimmer, and have been lap swimming regularly since 2015. But I slip into periods when I don't work out for a week or more. And a week can easily turn into two weeks or three. It's really hard to get up at 5:00 on a cold winter morning, pull on a swimsuit and get into a cold car to drive oneself to the gym. Then there's getting into the chilly pool ... There are too many reasons to stay in a warm bed snuggling with my hubby until 6:15! But swimming is the best thing for me physically and mentally, so I need to make it a priority. It takes diligence. But I can do it, if I just remind myself of the benefits, like the 5 pounds I lost this past year and how good I feel after a 30-minute swim.

So what resolutions, goals or plans do you have for 2017? If you'd like to share -- and I hope you will -- just click on "Comments" below. I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks, as always, for following My Little Bungalow. Here's to a great year ahead.
 

12 comments:

  1. Just wanted to leave a comment to let you know how much I enjoy following your blog. I'm one of those readers that doesn't often leave comments, for no other reason but that I forget. Then I remind myself that feedback is important to those that take the time to create these lovely blogs that I look forward to reading. So, thank you for continuing to share, and I hope you have a very Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Kathy. Nice to hear from you. So glad you enjoy the little blog. I appreciate you taking the time to let me know. Happy New Year. May it be a prosperous and healthy one!

      Delete
  2. Happy New Year Claudia! I still love popping over to check out your posts. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Pam. So good to hear from you. Thanks for your loyal support, and happy New Year!

      Delete
  3. Happy New Year to you and Paul, Claudia! I made one realistic resolution this year: stop walking around the house while brushing my teeth. Sounds ridiculous, but I have been known to put the garbage out while brushing my teeth. I'm sure I look like a dysfunctional moron. I also don't know why or when this habit developed, but now I tether myself to the sink with one hand and count while brushing my teeth. It's the only way to concentrate, it seems.

    I'd like to start reading more too, so I'm happy about your Goodreads link. Falling into a good book used to be my happy place before knitting, but I've become lazy in recent years. We have really good libraries and tons of used book stores close by, so I have no excuse. It's pure lethargy that's kept me from this lovely pastime, and I resolve to get back into it again.

    I'd also like to cook more new recipes. Seems the internet has spoiled me a bit, because it's all so convenient, but somehow, cracking open a MS Living or Fine Cooking magazine is so much more inspirational, don't you think? I used to be way more adventurous but find myself getting bored in the kitchen. So there's that!

    I used to lap-swim ALL. THE. TIME. Haven't in years. It's so painful in winter, it's just TOO cold here. And in summer, there are tons of other ways to burn a few calories. But I hear you! I stepped on the scale yesterday and gasped. Time to break out the 'ole walking shoes instead of bathing suit.

    So here's to us and our resolutions! May some of them stick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I laughed at your resolution. How funny! I'll bet all your neighbors think you're nuts all right (LOL). I hope you enjoy Goodreads. I plan to post more book recommendations, which will also prod me along in my quest to read more. Sometimes blogging is just what I need to accomplish new things. Happy New Year to you! Thanks for all the great comments you leave. I love them!

      Delete
    2. I walk around all the time brushing my teeth and think nothing of it. I won't join you, Shim Farm, in your resolve to stop doing that! My husband might like me to stop, but I don't think I will. I haven't really made any resolutions, except I'm working on "shaping up" before my 60th birthday, which is in April. I need to lose some weight and exercise more - just generally get in better shape.

      Delete
    3. Good to hear from you, Jeannine, and happy birthday a bit early! The other night by husband was walking around the house while brushing his teeth and I thought of Ann. Now I'll think of you too when I see him do it (or when I do ...). Happy new year!

      Delete
    4. Ahahahaha! Last night, I found myself (AGAIN!) wandering around the house while brushing my teeth. I'm at least self-aware (LOL) of what causes this now! Generally it starts with a four-footed distraction. Someone at the water dish I should freshen up or wanting in or out, and before you know it, I'm stoking the fire, washing a stray dish, or brushing a cat...

      I checked out Goodreads, and put in some of my favorite books. Right now, I'm re-reading my James Herriot series for the umpteenth time. If you've never read them, I highly recommend it!

      Delete
    5. I love the Herriot books. I read them when I was young, maybe in middle school? Great stuff.

      Delete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for visiting My Little Bungalow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...