Thursday, April 13, 2017

Book Recommendations

One of my goals this year is to read more. I'm happy to say I've been doing well so far. I recently finished America's First Daughter: A Novel by Stephanie Dray and Laura Kamoie, as well as A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman. 

I loved America's First Daughter, which falls under the genre of historical fiction -- probably my favorite genre. I also enjoyed A Man Called Ove, but I have to admit I liked the movie much more. It followed the book very closely, and the acting was great. My husband enjoyed the movie, too.

Since finishing those books, I've read A Walk Across the Sun by Corban Addison, which is about two teenage sisters in India who lose their family and their home to a tsunami, only to be kidnapped and sold into slavery. It's a very compelling story, and an easy read. The subject matter is difficult and disturbing, though. It's horrifying to realize how prolific human trafficking is around the world. Absolutely awful. At the end of the novel, Addison gives the names of some groups that work to help girls and young women who've been victims of the slave trade, with the hope that readers will support these groups with donations.

I'm now reading The Only Street in Paris: Life on the rue des Martyrs by Elaine Sciolino. It's a work of non-fiction, and being a lover of Paris, I'm enjoying it. I learned about this book from my blogging friend, Libby, of An Eye for Detail.


I'm always interested in what others have enjoyed reading, so please, leave a comment below and let me know what books you've read lately that you would recommend!

1 comment:

  1. I just finished Ordinary Grace by William Kent Kreuger. It was a good read - recommended by a friend in a book club. Your recommendations sound good - will seek them out! Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for visiting My Little Bungalow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...