Sunday, April 16, 2017

Spinach-mushroom Quiche


Happy Easter! What a joyful day it is. My husband and I attended Easter Vigil Mass last night. During the nearly three-hour service, 20 men and women were confirmed into the Catholic church. Two women were also baptized, which was a lovely thing to witness. My husband was confirmed into the Catholic church three years ago. Last night was the first Easter vigil service we've attended since then. A previous neighbor of ours -- a young woman in her 20s -- was confirmed last night. It was so nice to witness this significant moment in her life.

Today, Paul and I are celebrating Easter quietly at home. I made a quiche this morning, which I'm sharing the recipe for below. I used another recipe as the basis for it, but improvised. With the quiche we had a simple green salad, and enjoyed brunch on the front porch, savoring today's gorgeous weather: upper 60s and sunny with a slight breeze -- perfection!

This afternoon, I am going to work on my front porch planter. I bought the shade-tolerant plants yesterday and had fun choosing this year's mix. I'll post some photos soon. Later, I'll do a bit of reading, then I plan to make a new type of frozen pop. If it turns out well, I'll post the recipe, which I came across as I was going through previous issues of Living.

Here is my recipe for spinach-mushroom quiche. Paul said it's the best quiche I've made so far, which was such a nice compliment! I must say it was pretty awesome.

Spinach-mushroom Quiche

Ingredients:
1 frozen pie crust (I use a gluten-free crust from Whole Foods)
10 oz. package frozen chopped spinach
2 to 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
1/2 medium onion, chopped
8 oz. white mushrooms, sliced
1 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
4 large eggs
1 cup whole milk
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
freshly ground pepper
nutmeg

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Thaw the spinach. I use this quick-thaw method: In a colander, run cold water over spinach until thawed. Press spinach firmly against sides of colander to remove as much excess water as possible. Set aside.

2) In a skillet, heat vegetable oil (I use avocado oil). Saute the onions until softened. Add the sliced mushrooms and cook until the liquid begins to evaporate. Set aside.

3) In a medium bowl, whisk eggs with milk, salt, pepper and a pinch of nutmeg.

4) Set the pie crust on a baking sheet. Distribute the spinach and parsley evenly across the bottom of the crust. Top with the cooked onions and mushrooms, spreading evenly over the spinach. Sprinkle the Gruyere cheese evenly over the vegetables. Pour the egg mixture into the crust. 

5) Bake 50 to 55 minutes until center is just set and top is browned. Remove from oven and let sit 10 to 15 minutes before serving. Or let cool to room temperature, cover and refrigerate up to 1 day. Reheat in 350 degree oven until warm in center, 30 to 45 minutes. 

Bon apetite! Thank you for visiting My Little Bungalow. Have a blessed Easter.

2 comments:

  1. Our Easter Sunday has been spent quietly as well. I smiled at your making Quiche. I love quiche but my husband does not. However, the other night I made a half recipe in a smaller pie dish for myself and was quite pleased with it. I shall have more of it tomorrow evening when I come in since my husband will be working. I'm going to do dishes like this that I like more often on his work evenings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, this sounds just delicious. I will try it very soon. i have a favorite quiche that a friend gave me, but does not want me to post! So I can't do it....but will definitely make yours for my next ladies luncheon.
    Easter is always such a lovely time, and having the confirmations on that day would be very special. Our service was so nice and we too had a small, quiet but wonderful lunch. The great weather helped too!!!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for visiting My Little Bungalow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...