Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Horchata Pops


Paging through old magazines I haven't looked at in a year or more is like opening up a new issue. It's fun to rediscover the content. In an old summer issue of Living that I dug out from the bottom of a basket, I spied a recipe for horchata pops that sounded good and easy to make. It uses only three ingredients and takes just minutes to prepare. 

I wasn't familiar with horchata, so I looked it up online. Horchata is a beverage popular in Spain and Latin America. Ingredients vary based on the location. In Mexico and Guatemala, for example, horchata is made of rice milk, sometimes with vanilla and always with cinnamon. In Puerto Rico, it's called horchata de ajonjolí and is made with ground sesame seeds. In Spain, it is referred to as horchata de chufa and is made from tigernuts, water and sugar.

What intrigued me about this recipe is its simplicity -- and the use of sweetened condensed milk. Anything with sweetened condensed milk is going to be awesome, right? Ever had Vietnamese iced coffee? If so, you know what I mean. Heavenly! 

I made this recipe for horchata pops on Easter Sunday and froze them overnight. I couldn't wait to try one the next day. They're really good! The flavor is subtle -- sweet, but not too sweet. The cinnamon is delightful. I'll definitely be making these pops again over the summer. Give them a try!

Frozen Horchata Pops

Ingredients:
32 ounces (4 cups) rice milk
14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk (I used Trader Joe's organic)
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Directions:
Blend together all ingredients until combined. Skim off any foam from the top. Pour the liquid into molds and freeze until solid, about 8 hours. Makes 16 pops.



Thanks to my husband for the photo of me holding a popsicle.

1 comment:

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for visiting My Little Bungalow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...