Monday, May 29, 2017

Memorial Day and What's New in the Yard

Hello there. Happy Memorial Day! I hope you're enjoying (or have enjoyed) a nice three-day weekend. It feels great to have an extra day off. This weekend we enjoyed homemade guacamole and chips with a wonderful rum cocktail on the front porch. I made the cocktail using Williams Sonoma's pineapple-passion fruit daiquiri mixer. I just checked their website but I don't see this product listed. Bummer ... it's really good!


I used two small avocados, one small Roma tomato, a small amount of minced red onion, some fresh cilantro and fresh lime juice to make the guacamole. I seasoned it with salt and  bottled Tobasco jalapeno sauce, since I didn't have fresh jalapeno on hand. You can find the recipe here.


These cute "Cheers!" coasters are ones I "swiped" from a Bonefish Grill restaurant several years ago, I think. I just came across them in the drawer where I keep the paper cocktail napkins. The linen-looking cocktail napkins in these photos are from Ambiente Luxury Paper Products. I have a bit of an obsession with cute cocktail napkins. Whenever I see a unique pattern, I want to buy more, even though I have plenty of them. Caspari brand are some of my favorites. Do you have a favorite brand of pretty cocktail napkins to recommend?



This cute, yellow bubble glass candle holder is one of three I bought at my favorite local gift shop. I bought two small ones (this size) and one large one. They were inexpensive and add a nice touch to our outdoor dining space.


Changing topics, let me show you some of the developments in our back yard. The stones were an addition last year. My husband used to put pine needles down in the spaces between the path and the fence and the path and the house, but each year when the leaves fell from the trees, it was a real pain to get them up. He had the idea to use these stones, which look nice and also are easy to blow the leaves off of using an electric blower. They are placed all along the side of the house, too. I love them!


My husband also put in a brick path, extending from the concrete sidewalk into the backyard. This space was hard to grow grass in, and had been covered by pine needles for a while, but when it rained it was a mess, and the dogs would track in tiny pieces of deteriorating pine needles. The brick path is a great solution. I can walk out there to pick herbs without getting my feet dirty, and the dogs come in the house cleaner too.



Our miniature irises, above, bloomed this year. I think this variety blooms every other year, because don't recall any flowers last year. They are so beautiful. The gentleman who was born in our house in 1922 told me that his father had an iris garden in the yard of this house back then. I've always wanted to put in more of these pretty flowers, especially after hearing that story.

Purple flowers are my favorite in the garden. The color is so cheerful and makes me smile. We added some annuals this year called Angelface Blue, below. They're doing very well and seem to tolerate rain and cooler temperatures as well as hot sun. The flowers are lasting a long time, and the plant is supposed to bloom all summer. At $5 each, they were a good buy. I only wish they were perennials!



Here is my herb garden. It was my husband's idea to plant them in an unused galvanized tub that was behind our tool shed. From the top and going clockwise: cherry tomato, celery herb (which I bought thinking it was parsley), flat leaf parsley (which I bought once I learned the celery herb wasn't parsley), thyme and lavender. The small plant in the middle is rosemary, which got off to a bad start, but is sort of perking up now. The blank space between the lavender and the tomato is where a basil plant was. It deteriorated pretty quickly, so I bought a new one, which I will plant it in its own pot.



Finally, here's the first dahlia bloom of the season. Isn't she a beauty?! Our dahlia garden is very happy this year with all the cool, wet weather we've been having. But once the temperatures climb, these plants show their displeasure. They do require a bit of care in terms of watering and staking. But the flowers are such a great reward for all the hard work. Enjoy the rest of your week! Thanks for visiting My Little Bungalow.


8 comments:

  1. Good morning Claudia! It looks like you're having a great long weekend. As always, your photos are spectacular. Now I'm craving guac with your cocktail and it's not even noon. I'll bring the napkins, because that's one of my weaknesses, too! I love Ihr brand from Germany, and we're lucky in Canada (for a change!), any store under the Loblaw's banner carries President's Choice napkins. They bring out new selections seasonally, and the designs and quality are really high-end. Nothing worse than a puny, thin cocktail napkin. I always stock up at Ikea too, don't know if you have one locally?

    I put in a lot of new purple flowers this spring, more than I normally do. Hopefully I will get a few pictures up. Among them is a new petunia hybrid aptly called "Night Sky". I was given a beautiful flower basket and decided that purple would be my theme this summer.

    Your garden is really coming along. I am sure you're happy to have less pine needles tracked into the house by the dogs! Those stones are brilliant. This year I also put my herbs into planters. Normally I put them in the garden bed because they do better there, but this year I'm going with convenience. For a change, my basil is doing great. Last few years they've succumbed to some kind of mildew. We'll keep our fingers crossed!

    Again, hope you are enjoying a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Thank you for all your lovely comments on the last several posts. Always a joy to read your heartfelt notes! I look forward to an update on your blog soon. Best,
      Claudia

      Delete
  2. I love the rocks and the brick path. What a beautiful solution to your yard problem spots. Your Japanese irises are lovely. I had them years ago but they did not come back one year and I should suspect voles since they are the culprit for a lot of disappearing plants here. We have been in our house 23 years and I just planted the third rosemary this spring. They love the spot near my asphalt driveway. When I brought the new one home last week my husband asked where I would plant it and I said that I was not messing with a good thing and that it would go where the previous two had lived for so long. I am so glad to finally have some warm weather so that things can get growing this year. Enjoy your new yard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lana. I will pass along your compliment to my husband.

      Delete
  3. The drink and guacamole and chips look delicious! Your garden is lovely. I, too, love purple in the garden. I like the rock and brickwork. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jeannine. I'll tell Paul you said so. I appreciate your comment.

      Delete
  4. Your yard looks great. I will have to pick up some of those cocktail napkins. Do you also like to use fabric ones?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, John. I don't use fabric cocktail napkins, but I do use cloth napkins at the dinner table on occasion. Thanks for visiting.

      Delete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for visiting My Little Bungalow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...